What are Macros in My Settings?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Go to the Macros tab under "My Settings"

You have 9 possible macros to create.

Give it a name, type the body and save.

When you post, on the top right of the message box is a drop down beside the Quote button.

Choose the Macro you wish to post into the message box.

Then just post.

They can also be used for IM's as well.

here is my maco #1 for example

This is the macro to let you know that your post is far too long. Get to the point! Brevity and parsimony are virtues.

• Lindens

UPDATE UPDATE! I just did a blog post covering macros comprehensively.

--

I'M DELIGHTED YOU ASKED!

Macros are a convenient way to paste frequently-used blocks of text. It may be an easier way instead of using an external program (like PhraseExpress on Windows or TextExpander on Mac). For example, if you find you're often repeating a set of instructions, you can put that in as a macro and give it a name.

To insert a macro, click the Macros dropdown when you're editing a post. It'll only appear if you actually have one or macros.

Mmmmacros.png

EDIT: Just saw Derek's answer... rock on!

You may also wish to see Lithium's (that powers this community site) "Using macros in private messages and posts".

Just to add to Torley's great answer below, I had a quick play with the macros and they are a rather marvellous feature if there is, for example, a particular question that always crops up that you know the answer to and always find yourself responding to each time.

Simply create the macro with your 'standard answer' and you can quickly insert it every time you see someone ask the question. Save's a lot of typing (partcularly if you are busy eating cheese and typing time is thus limited!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.