Why Gor is attractive to females

LlazarusLlong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Real or made up - the little girl hs a good point.

The outfit is nice, screw the slave angle.

There's no reason outfits and fashions like Gor have to be linked to female slavery. No reason at all.

There's even plenty of fantasy sources out there with such conventions without the misogyny. To go all the way: Den from Heavy Metal in the late 70s.

But you can find skimpy / sexy outfits all over the genre too, and without female slavery. Xena Warrior princess anyone?

And despie to protestations of male gamer geeks everywhere - there are plenty of warrior women historically. Queen Nyabinghi may be a legend, but she's one based on plenty of historical examples from the region. Joan of Arc for another. And there are examples all through history of women joining in war - sometimes at penalty of death if found out, and sometimes wlecomed - but more often in between.

And then of course... fantasy. Where gamer geeks can believe in 30 foot long flying lizards and little bearded magical guys with Scottish accents, but a girl with gusto... is too unrealistic... or whatever...

Gor just makes the slave link. As did Star Wars in that specific example (but otherwise not. In Star Wars, its part of what helps establish Jaba as bad... that he does this kind of thing).

The Princess Leia slave costume predates SL by decades.  According to the Star Wars wiki, the costume was inspired by one designed by fantasy artist Frank Frazetta in his Egyptian Queen painting.  Hardly a slave.   Original illustrations for Gor on the other hand depict women slaves naked, in tattered clothing , bikini type garments or in the case of dancers, a more harem like costume with sheer skirts or a skirt split in the front.  None show the 'silks' popular in SL Gor.  In fact when I Googled Gor images the only women in silks were pictures of SL avatars. 

frank_frazetta_egyptian_queen.jpg

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Look away NOW, Scylla!

Adam Buxton is a very funny man.

Scylla couldn't make it tonight -- she's attending a seminar on intersectionality, homosociality and misogyny in My Little Pony -- but she asked me to drop by and let you know that she agrees largely with what Pussycat says, and that she doesn't think that there is any necessary relationship between what (or how little) one wears and one's relative power in a culture.

The key, of course, is choice. Being a slave means that one has none, and the skimpy costume therefore, in that context, becomes a signifier of that loss of power.

But the same costume, when worn in a different situation and deliberately chosen by the wearer, could actually quite powerfully signify a woman's power and right to express her own sexuality, beauty, or simply aesthetic sense.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

She (Scylla) asked me to drop by and let you know that she agrees largely with what Pussycat says, and that she doesn't think that there is any necessary relationship between what (or how little) one wears and one's relative power in a culture.

Mark Twain wrote:

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

She (Scylla) asked me to drop by and let you know that she agrees largely with what Pussycat says, and that she doesn't think that there is any necessary relationship between what (or how little) one wears and one's relative power in a culture.

Mark Twain wrote:

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

He WOULD say that.

Can you imagine what Mark Twain would look like draped over a couch wearing Leia's slave outfit?

I thought Gor was people eating each other N stuff.

It doesn't take long to fall out of the loop around here does it?

At first i thought it was Gorean,then someone tells me no,it means like Gory and eating someones body and gross stuff like that..

Now it's back to what i first thought it was..

Hehehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

At first i thought it was Gorean,then someone tells me no,it means like Gory and eating someones body and gross stuff like that..

Hehehehe

What the person who told you that was probably talking about is called gore, which is not at all the same as Gor... although, I suppose the two could be combined if one were so inclined.

...Dres  (Regardless of what claims to the contrary one makes, spelling does matter.)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Hehehehe

What the person who told you that was probably talking about is called Gore.

Noooo! This is Gore...

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

At first i thought it was Gore-an,then someone tells me no,it means like Gorey

Hehehehe

Noooo! This is Gore...

Hell, I can top that ... there's a bigger Gore ..  :robotindifferent:

algore.jpg

TDD123 wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

At first i thought it was Gore-an,then someone tells me no,it means like Gorey

Hehehehe

Noooo! This is Gore...

Hell, I can top that ... there's a bigger Gore ..  :robotindifferent:

algore.jpg

Al is not as attractive to this female as Leslie.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

That's "Vore." Short for "vorarephilia".

Dolcett is when you eat your female meat spit-roasted.

All part and parcel of gynophagia.

No, that's not another name for cunnilingus.

Which is not the second Irish airline.

Oh yeah, you're right... I forgot about vore.  And, looking back on what Ceka said, vore fits her description much better.  Whereas, gore is a more general term which can encompass various, more specific activities, such as vore, dolcett, snuff, etc... (which can all be rather gory, depending on how they're done).

If I remember correctly, there are two types of vore, soft and hard.  Soft meaning swallowing a body whole and hard meaning, well, chewing it up first I suppose... which would certainly fall into category of gore.  So, it's quite possible for a person to be into vore and not necessarily gore... but nevertheless, Gor is something else entirely and shouldn't be confused with either.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Couldn't resist the role of being a cunning linguist, could you ?

Some things just come naturally.

...Dres

Somehow I cannot imagine you cunningly have your way with linquistics while cunnilinging. :robotindifferent:

TDD123 wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Couldn't resist the role of being a cunning linguist, could you ?

Some things just come naturally.

...Dres

Somehow I cannot imagine you cunningly have your way with linquistics while cunnilinging. :robotindifferent:

Me?... of course not.  I gave that sort of behavior up years ago.

...Dres

TDD123 wrote:

Of course he isn't.

But he's indeed bigger, right ?

Though I'd thought you'd like Leslie more for her voice instead of better proportion ..:robothappy:

I like both Al and Leslie, but Leslie's a better role model for an aspiring lesbian.

;-).

I'm thinking that has nothing to do with the length of their fingernails.

...Dres

i think that many females that decided to not only adopt the fancy outfits but also the lifestyle of being slaves, and furthermore, being a Gor slave, are people that admire power. a slave could be there in order to get rid of some of their responsabilities, and having to take decisions, if someone else makes them for them, the easier their life is, maybe they are persons who in real life have to make many decisions, or are uncomfortable with responsabilities, so they decide to be slaves.

now, Gor focus very much in power, about being very strong and brave, to the level of dehumanizing, taking away rights just because of a person would like to, that personality represents some kind of an epithome of power, a person that can make a huge contrast between another person and itself, to the point that in comparison, from the slave perspective, the one in power looks infinitly powerful.

maybe people that admire power but don't want to take the responsabilities to reach it, want to be as close as possible to it, so they stick to someone that represent what they cant achieve.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.