Sign in to follow this  
Maci Meriman

Get over yourself

Everyone is different.  Everyone enjoys sl for different reasons. I'm a married female and more often then not my hubby is right besides me.  He doesn't mind that I rp.  BUT he would mind if I suddenly started voicing and skyping with various men in order to prove that I am female.

Today, because I would not prove my sex, I was harrased and essentially "gay bashed."  I blocked the idiot, of course, but it had me fuming. 

First, why gay bash?  It's so 1990's and only symbolizes  your inept masculinity and small **bleep** syndrome.

Second, If you need to know somebody's A/S/L before rp'ing then you need eHarmony and not SL.

Third, I feel much better.  Thanks for listening to my rant.   :)

Right there with you. My philosophy has always been you are what you appear to be in SL. One of my alts that I've RPd on appears about 24ish. Had a guy come up starting to RP....then he IM'd me and asked my age. I told him I, the character, was about 24. He said no, in RL. He didn't want to RP with anyone that was over 30 because it might lead to sex RP. I then frankly told him the sim we were in was for roleplay, not looking to hook up for dates or make a RL connection. If that was what he wanted he needed to hit the clubs in SLor go to a dating service in RL, not a roleplay sim. I then muted him and walked off. My RL age is none of his, or anyone's business. I'm RPing a 24 yo in that sim, On another alt, I RP a vampire that's 700 yo. shakes her head and shrugs.

I want voice verification of the 700 year old vampire. It would probably sound all wise, dangerous, and sort of hollowish, like a massive voice inside my mind, but extremely sensuous. *shivers*

Not really. She's actually a Malkavian vampire that is quite mad and sometime childish, sometimes dangerous. Sometimes she can sound quite sane until you look her in the eye.....smiles sweetly,, her eyes not quite reflecting the smile.

You don't have to prove anything to anyone.   I never have and never will.   If someone wants to object and be nasty it is their problem and they are the one that looks the fool not you.  Just block and ignore them.  You don't want to associate with such idiots anyway.

I’m a straight guy who frequently rp’s. Never cared who’s behind the avi. I had for a long time in my RL tab, that I don’t want to voice. I saw no point. However over time voice was initiated by my rp partners (after the trust had been established by OOC txt), and chatted to many lovely women.

Even after arranging to meet up with my SL slave in RL, I still hadn’t voiced to her, she’s the one who kept hinting, and I kept finding excuses. It worked out very well, thanks to us being very transparent of who we are in RL, in emails and txt.

Pretty much all I’ve voiced to, express the same thing…sick of being pressured to voice. They have a good excuse….they may cohabit with others, or just not want to go into a medium where they’ll feel pressured or obliged…or like me, just damn lazy.

Those who go around pressuring others to voice, miss opportunities.  And the tools who bash others for not voicing, wanting to know a/s/l, as Maci said, SL is generally not the place.

I suspect SL has a higher female to male ratio, due to what it offers….compared to say, world of Warcraft.

This individual clearly has not thought everything through at his/her end.

A guy posing as a girl can get his sister, cousin, GF, wife, friend, fiancee, or mother to speak on the mic of before a cam for a minute or two to "prove" his gender to the other party.

Voice and cam verified is not foolproof.

Is the other party paranoid and homophobic on the thought of maybe expressing his true love to a female avi that may or may not be a girl in rl?

Unless his SL activity is being published or publicly displayed for all to see, no one will know of it.

Don't get fuming on this person's madness. Clearly he is of a small mind, most likley immature and young, paranoid and fearful of others finding out on what he does on his computer.

First of all, it isn't "real" roleplay for me, if I have to bring ANY real life information (not even to speak about verification) into the scene. Because role play comes from "playing a role". I have been a long-term roleplayer since 2008 and I expect other players to stay in-character and chose their actions based on my character...not because they know anything about the player behind the character.

I'm not really activly roleplaying in SL like I do it elsewhere, but if someone starts emoting and stuff, I expect them to stay inside this world and not suddenly request any sort of real life information. If you don't want to date a virtual elf, then go outside your house or log in to some dating website.

I also refuse this whole verification bull**bleep**. Not only is it awkward and destroys the moment, its also a pressure I will not encourage to be put on women. Why do we have to verifiy our gender? Take me as I present myself or walk away. At least those idiots make it easier this way to sort them out right from the start.

I am the same way, my RL husband is almost always around in sl with me. We try and rp together and do just about everything together. I personally will voice with those around me I choose to. Usually those that are close friends and sl family. (Or if i am djing, but to me that is different) 

Me, personally if i ever do initiate in sexual acts for part of roleplay there is never voice attatched. If the person cant take it at their word then they only care about what is there on the other side and not the RP. 

I RP am 11 year old, mostly sitting on my own land, building or drawing.  Last week some "lady" came onto MY land, uninvited,  BARE BUTT NAKED,  on a  G~Rated sim, and gave me a 30 minute lecture on how I MAKE PEOPLE UNCOMFORTABLE by playing a child.....     

She wasn't the least bit concerned about my discomfort, an 11 yr old BOY, being accosted by a naked woman in his own yard..   So, Yes,  people,  GET OVER YOURSELVES!

Well, you can AR her for the nudity on a General sim.. However, it's also possible she had on mesh clothing that didn't rez. When someone starts that kind of lecture, I usually reply Second Life, My World, My Imagination then eject and ban them from my land.

You don't have to listen to her crap. Mute, eject, ban.

Nope, she was naked as a jay bird..   Part of why I made HER uncomfortable...   Go figure.   When I pointed out this was a G sim she said it didn't matter. "The neighboring sims have adult content and children shouldn't be near them"  *sigh*

Actually,  it does matter. She was in violation of the sim ratings. G allows no nudity and no sex stuff of any kind. The G sims are the only ones open to those that are 16-18 in RL. Doesn't matter if there are adult or moderate sims right next door. The sim she was standing in was G. I really dislike those self-righteous players that think they can tell everyone how to play their game...As I said, mute, eject and ban...I'd also AR her for harrassment and adult content in a G sim.

It is rediculous that some of these people just need to know who is behind the avi, and as I sometimes rp a female I don't see why it matters. I have been called a **bleep** or a furfag depending on the environment and avi I happen to be using at the time, which makes no sense to me in the slightest. if I'm going to be looking at a characters rear end for hours at a time, it might as well be a nice rear end.

Playing a character of the opposite sex does not make you gay. If anything it further affirms you are confident with your sexuality, and you happen to be a butt person. :smileywink:

First up, I'm very sorry that in 2014 you still had to put up with that.

A while back, I caught flack for suggesting that the "voice verification police" were still alive and well in SL, and  I'm actually sorry to see that I'm not the only one who's aware of it.

There are a few Groups that focus on connecting people "who just don't care" about RL; sort of the diametric opposite of the "Voice Verified" groups that seek to handcuff people's SL creativity to the cards RL dealt them.  "The Acceptance Project" is one such.

Probably, its people who are new to SL and see it as sort of a dating service for RL that are very intent on Voice Verification...and SL is different for almost everyone....but it'd be nice if it entered those folks awareness that not everyone is here looking for RL love...

Hang in there!

A long time ago, I used to RP in yahoo chat. My RL best friend would play along with us and had a RP girlfriend.  This woman was one of the best RP'ers he ever knew online and when we found out that 'she' was really a 'he', it didn't even phase my friend, who is very straight.  They didn't engage in any private message cyber sex or anything, this was good fun with a bunch of people we befriended online.  It's a shame that there are people in SL that have that kind of hang up in this day and age. 

I remember the good ol' days of chat rooms where anonymity was encouraged.  The only bit of info I would give away is a/s and maybe the country/state I was living in but that was it.  Now thanks to social media, anonymity is a bad thing. 

I come to Second Life to escape from my real life.  I love that I can be anything I want to be.  Yet the few guys I've befriended would nag me about how not discussing my RL just makes me another 'fake' person in SL.  I get tired of explaining how that for all they knew, I would lie about my RL.  Enjoy the mystery, if they can't enjoy SL for what it is, a life outside of your real one, then maybe they should seek elsewhere.