Favorite External Script Editors

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I always used to use LSL Editor but I've changed to LSL Plus (see the editors page mentioned above) for Eclipse.

The advantages are that some of the more recent improvements to LSL are recognised and I now have a single IDE for all my programming (LSL, PHP, Python and Javascript).  As I'm scripting external comms (to PHP web pages) that's pretty useful at the moment.

I use LSLEditor almost exclusively.  It is up to date and offers good diagnostic messages.  I used to use the in-world editor when I'm in SL, but now that Phoenix lets me link directly to LSLEditor from in world, I'm finding that I use it almost all the time.

Anything around or less than 25mb's and has syntax colouring. If it's anything more than that then it's more than a text or script editor. I favourite things if they are useful for what I need to use them for.

At the moment I am giving SciTE a decent run of use to see how much I'll like it.

UltraEdit seems to do a decent job and it runs on both Mac, Linux and Windows. The syntax highlighting definitions are kept up to date with the latest revision from the end of January. 

BBEdit is a good editor too for the Mac, but the syntax highlighting is a bit dated. 

Having said that, external editors is not implemented properly on Mac OS X. It does not behave as per the Apple UIG.

If i.e. the external editor is set to /Applications/UltraEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/UltraEdit %s it invokes an instance of UltraEdit and opens the file, as expected. 

However, if UltraEdit is already running, as per Apple's UIG, the file shall be opened in a new window in the running application. This is not happening, but it invokes another instance of UltraEdit.  This is typical Windows behavior and is never seen on Mac OS X (as in it shall not happen even though it technically can.) It is one of the major differences of Mac OS X and Windows in expected application behavior. 

Also, when the file is opened, expected behavior is to switch to the application opening the file and make the window containing it the frontmost. This does not happen, but is hidden behind the SL viewer, so you have to manually invoke a switch. 

For BBedit, editing a file just starts the application if not running, but never opens the file. 

Rather than specify the path to an executable inside the .app directory (which content is hidden for normal users) the only thing you need to do on Mac OS X is to pass the temp file with the extension .lsl to the operating system (Finder) and it will be opened for edit in the default application set to handle files of that type. If no application has been set, the OS will suggest a list of candidates that can handle the file. Doing it this way will prevent invocation of additional instances of an application. Changing the default application for a file type is easy to set in the Finder. 

So you could only have the externalEditor debug setting accept the values True or False on the Mac, and if True, pass the file for edit to the Finder and it would be opened for edit in the users's favorite editor. 

I never got into vi... too dang many key combinations to remember. Its only advantage is that it's truly hardware independent and doesn't require a GUI. But for most of my code editing in any language on the linux box, I'm all gedit now. It even has syntax highlighting specifically for lsl now! I haven't really found a good syntax highlighter for Winduhs yet. For work we have to use Visual Studio which is about as bloated as you can get and only supports languages that MS produces. So for anything else, I work on my Linux box in gedit and copy it over to the XP box.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used SciTE-ez for years, updating the resource files myself. But I recently switched to mac. So far, I haven't found anything free and up to date.

The LSL Plus plugin for Eclipse has some interesting features (pseudo-module support, code optimization, sim emulation, etc.), but it's outdated - it doesn't support some of the most recent functions and events. I've been trying to get into the depths of Haskell to build an updated executable, but it's been very time-consuming. If anyone knows how to build updates (to support new LSL stuff), hit me up! I'd gladly do it and post it publicly.

• 4 weeks later...

There's two nice things about LSL Editor:

1.  It's incredibly easy to use & install, still the best choice for novices who are not doing other programming.

2.  It's actually an IDE (integrated development environment),  you can do quite a bit of testing in it. 

It's just been updated again, see http://sourceforge.net/projects/lsleditor/

Release notes are concise!   -----------------------------------------------------------

LSLEditor Community Edition Release Notes

Latest Version: 2.42.4127.42022
Release Date: 21 April 2011

New Features:

1) Syntax support for functions now in testing on Aditi, SL's Beta Grid:

list llCastRay(vector start, vector end, list options)
integer llGetUsedMemory()
integer llClearPrimMedia(integer face)
string llGetDisplayName(key id)
string llGetEnv(string name)
integer llGetLinkNumberOfSides(integer link)
list llGetPrimMediaParams(integer face, list params)
integer llGetSPMaxMemory( )
string llGetUsername(key id)
llLinkParticleSystem(integer link, list rules)
llRegionSayTo(key target, integer channel, string msg)
key llRequestDisplayName(key id)
key llRequestUsername(key id)
llScriptProfiler(integer flags)
llSetLinkTextureAnim(integer link, integer mode, integer face, integer sizex, integer sizey, float start,float length, float rate);
llSetPrimMediaParams(integer face, list params)
integer llSetPrimMediaParams(integer face, list params)
llTextBox(key avatar, string message, integer chat_channel);

2) Menu Options:

Help | Ask a Question / Get Help

• 3 weeks later...

Um, I like LSLEdit, teh eclipse thing looks neato and I can't be bothered to set it up and I use the fastest to use on this PC with is a highlighter file from schill for a text editor!

I remember one guy had the build stuff so the internal LSL editor could be built stand alone! This is neato and really my fav would be a offgrid stand alone sim on my PC with full physics and LSL in it. But last I heard the only way to do that was the HUGE corporate grid offering LL used to sell..way more than I can afford. The opensim stuff I tried, but they have very little that helps me and I read up and see they are still (obviously) not using a Havok clonish implementation close enough to allow me to make physics items and that is most of what I do! I don't finish a lot of projects but I do work on stuff and try things out and one of the reasons I use an external editor is the colors in the new lsl built in are a bit terrible. I can't see the find highight very good...not sure why.

LSLEdit was nice and a simple fast install, so it used to be my fav. But now it is all sort of online to play with havok and oflien to clean up or rearrange and then dropped back into inworld items.

• 3 months later...

After trying to follow the vague instructions and empty sourceforge links on the LSL Plus official site I searched in-world to find users who could help me. The LSL Forge users group came up and their GoogleCode update site actually works. It auto installs LSL Plus for Eclipse and has Linux and Windows packages.  Here's the address:

http://code.google.com/p/lslforge/

Thanks LSL Forge! No more headaches.

• 2 months later...

LSLForge + Eclipse for anything that require multiple scripts. It becomes easy to manage projects, use common library, refactor, etc. And it's uptodate !

By enabling preprocessing on Phoenix, my inworld script is only 1 line like: #include "C:\SL\Script\MyScript1.lsl", getting directly the forged script without copy&paste.

Adding the Antenna plugin to Eclipse allows to use #ifdef directives aswell.

http://code.google.com/p/lslforge/

http://antenna.sourceforge.net/wtkpreprocess.php

• 8 months later...

Re: the LSLForge + Eclipse.  Does anyone know if there is a code formatter in Eclipse that will autoformat code for a script.  I have a script that has mixed coding styles and I would like to format it in one click.  I'm on a Mac so LSLEditor isn't the solution.  Thanks

"Solved" my problem by installing LSLEdit on a PC at work, formated the code and pasted it back in.  Actually the editor was very good and I may use when at a PC.  Just wish there was a Mac version of it.  Finally got the Eclipse plug-in installed but either I can't find the run script or there isn't one.  The one in LSLEdit is pretty good and gets you at least the basics.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.