Event Security

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think too much is made of event security.  I run a system where the volume of events is never beyond what myself, and staff, can cope with in terms of security.  Cheaters can easily be spotted as can spammers, and if a tight ship is run there are no real threats to security.  Clubs try to grow too big too quickly and burn out, for little reward.  This is usually why they close.  As for the recent fuss over alts, they are easy to spot without the need for dodgy databases stored in some random persons basement. 

Stopping object entry and the running of scripts are two basic functions that can be configured on the land, mine are set to group only, as is rez.  I have a security system that is grid wide running off a server, which enables me to give out Remote HUDs to staff in the event I can't get online and gives them the option to ban people.  My land is not, and never will be deeded, although it is set to a group.

There will always be obnoxious people but they are rare.  The main issue appears to be contests.  I have my contests configured so that only contestants can vote which stops the mass TPing of friends at the end of an event.  Contestants do have to join the group now too, which I resented doing but now the group limit has been increased is less of an issue.  I add casual staff to a block list in my board which prevents the awkward conversation about reminding on duty staff they are not permitted to enter the contest.  My DJs take a personal interest in helping me to spot people not in theme, or any other dodgy goings on but really this sort of thing goes with the territory and is not really a security issue per se.

• 2 weeks later...

Event Security is, luckily, something that I haven't had to deal with much, although I have had to deal with it on occasion.  At the low level I've had to deal with it, I can basically break "best practice" into two things - Attitude and Knowledge.  By this I mean....

Your attitude plays a really important part in handling the issue.  If you'e dealing with soeone that is just irritating, don't let it upset you - the situation just escalates.  The same thing with people who are out to simply be provocative - by getting visibly upset, you are essentially giving the person what they want.  Your attitude at all times should be one that is not confrontive or arrogant, and gives an impression of "I know how to deal with this" - whether tha rubs off on the "griefer" isdebateable, but at the very least it should help give some comfort to the audience, preventing things from escalating.

The other part is knowledge - particularly of the tools available, and how to use them effectively.  I say effectively because it's pretty obvious how to use the tools, but it's not always obvious how to use them well.  In many minor cases, a typical eject/ban/mute is sufficient.  If there is suspicion that they migh bring an army of alts in, you can always turn off public access for a few minutes - unless you've let things escalate (or you'e just unlucky and get an ID-10-T griefer) that will do.  However, with a bit of further knowledge, you can almot always find creative ways to deal with even the more serious issues with the tools available.

In many minor cases, a typical eject/ban/mute is sufficient.  

This is true, I use the land tools 9 times out of 10, my security system is for other people to use such as staff and residents.  I don't need much at all.

And, I don't really care if alts slip in either.  If alts enter it is technically not cheating - Just gaming the contest.  I would rather they didn't but I'm not giving myself an ulcer over it.

• 1 month later...

I support the idea of event security. It can be an effective deterent against most of the common Event disruptions.

As a guest I would have some comfort in knowing that others are following the AR process and handling the situation. 

A powerful pc is very helpful. Casually dressed security with an Event Security Tag.

There are some issues with this discussion and this may not be the proper forum.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.