Filming and Editing Tools

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a lot of different tools for filming, which of course are generally divided by operating system.

Video-capturing:

Win: Fraps, Camstudio, Hypercam, Xfire, WeGame and others

Mac: Berio, Camtasia, and others

Editing:

Win: Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, WinMovieMaker, Corel VideoStudio, VideoSpin, many others

Mac: iMovie, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, many others.

Linux: Kdenlive (http://kdenlive.org)

Peripherals:

SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse

• Like 1

+1 on the Space Navigator, it's a lot of fun and lets you achieve shots you just can't get with a mouse, keyboard, or joystick.

For Mac users, I'll also recommend TeleStream's ScreenFlow.  It's a little spendier than some of the other solutions, but it's easy to use and has a fantastic user interface, has great editing tools, and has the lowest performance overhead of anything else I've worked with.  What's performance overhead?  It's the performance hit your computer takes when you're recording from SL.

Hi! i just downloaded Berio. I never done any video screen capturing before and also machinima. 

I have some noob questions here:

1. How can i make my cursor invisible when im recording some scenes inworld?

2. Where can i find the full screen mode in v2.xxx

3. Is Berio can also record audio from secondlife  (ambient sound, sound effects and music streaming)?

Thanks very much for the link!:smileyhappy:

koto Nizna wrote:

Hi! i just downloaded Berio. I never done any video screen capturing before and also machinima. 

I have some noob questions here:

1. How can i make my cursor invisible when im recording some scenes inworld?

2. Where can i find the full screen mode in v2.xxx

3. Is Berio can also record audio from secondlife  (ambient sound, sound effects and music streaming)?

Thanks very much for the link!:smileyhappy:

koto, suppress the UI with Control-Alt-F1. That will solve both problems 1. and 2. As far as I know Berio records audio, but you might need to alter a setting or two. I use a pc, but if a Mac-user can weigh in here it would be helpful.

I took a look into the space navigator but the price was pretty shocking to me. I don't think I'm ready to shell out 100$.

Right now I have a Logitech Attack3 joystick but I can't seem to rotate my flycam with it. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the space navigator out there? Or at least, is there a way to rotate the camera with a Logitech Attack3?

I've had a SpaceNav for years and believe it's well worth the money, however a great many people never get used to them and leave them to gather dust. Therefore it's my belief that it might well be possible to pick up a cheap, barely used SpaceNav. Might be worth having a look around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I use Sony Vegas and Camtasia Studio to produce video and Camtasia recorder for recording.

I usually record videos and save as .camrec in Camtasia recorder, and never as AVI. I then import the .camrec video file as is, I render it as MP4 then I process it to Sony Vegas in which I add effects and do some editing and add texts, and intros and closers then I render the final product as MP4 or WMV then upload it to Youtube. Normally I render it as 640x480 or 480x360 4:3 25fps or 856x480 or 640x360 widescreen 16:9 25fps. Sometimes I render it as HD 720p or HD 1080p

• 1 month later...

I know I say this alot..but, I will once again say it again. You can use Blender. Yes, I am not joking! Blender has a video sequencing set of tools.It has transitions (like, glow, fade and so on) and if you look into adding particle effects or some additions with 3D animation bits compositing or whatever. I don't do this stuff, I just sort of see this stuff and go "wwo, neat!" and have played with the sequencer when I was trying out video's in blender for anim reference (another neat feature, you can use not only images as a background ref BUT video as well) so....yeah, you can sequence some video in blender. I guess sequencing is sort of editing, but I will add that film editing is not the whole point and this stuff seems to be added in order to aid compositing (IMHO) and I am sure there are lots of tools you would NOT see in here. BUT, for those into blender and know a bit OR people looking to add particle effects...um, it might work out well. But I do hear people who do compositing talking about using a tracking software after the render thier stuff in blender. So, I assume blender does not do this well at present. I am out of my knowledge base right now, so I will stop typing more of my ponderings and explaining what I DON"T know lol. :P

EDIT: I forgot to mention Lightworks beta offering! I have nothing to tell you about this one, I heard of it through a 3D magazine. You must register to get this. So, well....up to you if you want to try it. It is beta though, so remember that. But it is something used by bi gmovie hotshots, so they say! Award winning ones and they say wonderful things about it! So, it might be worth it to someone who knows how to really use this type of thing. I just play around with this stuff and still have much to learn about film editing. Now...um, sound is something I know a bit more about. If you want music that is orignal but can't play or get a musician to make custom bits I would suggest checking out Acid Loops based stuff. AcidXpress is free and will intro you to how it all works. It has restrictions, but you will see the workflow and maybe be able to try your hand at it before investing. You buy or make loops (great if you have limits on how long you can play an instrument or make alot of mistakes and don't wish to keep "punching in" parts BUT you can still play well enough to make small bits, riffs and stabs!) and ....well, basically you paint it all in and this is starting to drift off topic a bit I think. So, anyway....there is a few more that might help!

• 1 month later...

jaysprout wrote:

Is there no "in world" or "in app" recorder? I love that snapshots don't capture anything but the action "on screen" and would love a video recorder that did the same.

There was one originally but it was buggy and never recorded sound. Given that we are in the Golden Age of Screencapture Software ;-D we all have lots of choices, many free.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.