Creating chair (sit) animations

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you want to create a sit animation that can substitute(override) the built-in sit animation it must be similar to what you find in the avatar_sit.bvh file.

The file can be loaded in Qavimator and the hip coordinates can be monitored and used for another animation.
I find for the position:

• X: -0.031061
  • Y: 23.4938
  • Z: -13.8514

For the rotations:

• X rotation: -5.0584
  • Y rotation: -0.1399
  • Z rotation: -0.397

These coordinates can be entered when you use Qavimator just like that.
I have no idea how to do it in Blender and would like to learn it from someone

BVH files for all built-in animations can be downloaded in a ZIP file from this site

• 1 month later...

One thing I find annoying is standing up to find yourself standing on furniture.  I you want the avatar to stand in front of the object/chair when they stand set your X position offset in your animation program  around -1.0 meters (unit of measure will vary depending on program). Or 1.0 meters if you want them to stand behind things like dinning room sets. Noting more annoying than having people stand on your turkey dinner. Once you upload the animation align the pose using the sit target for the script(s). On a side note this is not a good idea to use this offest method for vehicles as it will casue unexpect results with the physics since the avatars phyical shape may stick outside the vehicle. Using U-Poser will allow you to see how far the Avatar is from the center postion as well as help you judge where the physical shape of the Avatar is when making vehicles. 

• 1 month later...

For the life of me, I cannot override the leg movement in a sit animation.  I've created an animation that works when the av is standing, but even at priority 4, in sit pose, only the upper body part of the animation works.  I don't know if I need to do something differently in the bvh or in my script (i'm creating a scripted object where the av is animated on sit).  I've created the animation with avimator - should I get a newer tool?  Or are there some scripting tips anybody has?  

Thanks!

davide

• 2 weeks later...

When you upload and choose preview while sitting does it look OK? If it does then it's a scripting issue. If not then it's a problem in the creation of the animation.

Sits made with avimator should work. I don't recall having any problems like that. Frame 1 should be left to the default T pose. Start animating from frame 2. Make sure you move all the joints in frame 2.

Your script should both play your sit animation and turn off the default sit. You might want to turn on the client feature that lists all your animations. I don't know where that is with these new viewers. Also, an AO may override sits in a scripted chair. You can't really do much about that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.