Second Life has many different kinds of role play

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the strengths of SL is it's broad variety of roleplay options.  Most of the sims have good information at the TP in areas, to assist new seekers of adventure, such as huds, rules and, frequently, free weapons for those wishing to dip a toe in the water.

Gor sims, based on the John Norman books, vary from themed to BTB, By The Book , sims. Despite the negative slings and arrows by many of the politically correct, Gor sims are among the most scenic and detailed to be found in SL.  Search for the Gorean Information centre or the Gorean Welcome Centre, both of which give excellent introductions and information to new members.

Sci-Fi sims are also well represented throughout SL, and again can be very atmospheric and detailed to add to the roleplay experience. Doomed Ship, is well worth a look, among many others that can be found in Search.

One of my alts - and alts are priceless, imo,  when it comes to roleplaying different characters - roleplays in a cool manga sim called High School of the Dead, based on the manga tv series (check it out on YouTube :o) ) of the same name.  A well thought out RP sim, with info area and mall, and helpful Game Managers all add to real involvement, but perhaps one of the best aspects of HOTD is the placing of programmed avatar zombies, rather than zombies rezzed from spawn areas on the ground.

Vampire, fantasy and dark gothic sims are just waiting to be explored, too.  I have not had time to explore these, yet, but I did have a absorbing walk through Bentham Forest, and it is one of the finest sims I have seen, which says a lot as there are some truly excellent RP sims just waiting to have sword swung or spell cat in.

Have fun, and check SL's detination guide frequently for some interesting sims to visit, too.

There are plenty of fantasy based roleplay areas with Elves, Drow, Mer folk, Dragons, etc. that people can get immersed in if they choose. Sims will sometimes require you to use a meter of some sort to engage in roleplay, it's best before entering the fray on a roleplay sim to make yourself comfortable with the covenant and any rules, sims have different rules and some don't allow meters, familiarising yourself with a setting before entering the fray is a good way to ensure your experience is a fun one.

One type of RP that people rarely seem to know about is Roman-based RP. I was involved in one sim for over a year, and am in the process of moving with to a new sim (Blood & Sand on the Crimson Spear sim). The sim I used to play on has merged with Blood & Sand, and although it's new, it seems really busy and vibrant, The build is gorgeous too - I was given a tour just last night!

There is lots of fantasy RP too. And Star Wars and Star Trek as well as the upcoming Battlestar Galactica Sim and all the urban-city places. Either post-apocalyptic or modern day.

On the other hand, science-fiction is extremly underrepresented. There are the fan-sims mentioned above, but aside of this there is very little. And this makes many people wishing for science fiction RP wander around aimlessly in search of a good place to stay on.

Have to agree with Ciran... I go on walkabout at times to check out other sims, first thing I do is grab the rules and step over to the side and read them. Find out what meter they use, do you need an observer tag to check it out, find out what clothing they require. Sure some of those notecards go on forever, but you really only need to read the rules that apply to observers, and try and remember if you are an observer do not interupt the on going roleplay,. 

There's a lot of variety in the role-play you can find in SL, at least in terms of themes. I've always considered one of SL's greatest, if underutilized strengths, being how close it is to being a mini-MMO maker. Environments, costumes, props...all these things you can build from the ground up, exactly to your own specifications (at least as close as your design skills and the content tools allow).

There's definitely something to be said for the free-form style of role-play that dominates SL, but as anyone can see with the variety of meters and HUDs available for various role-play sims, many people do want some form of game element. It seems like that element is severely limited in SL, it would be fantastic to see LL develop it further. Allow us to make environments more interactive, to rez, dress, animate and script NPC avatars, populate an environment with non-player creatures and machinery which move and interact much more naturally than is currently possible with the crude prim animations or wasteful avatar bots people currently use.

I believe if that aspect were more fully developed it could potentially be a huge draw to bring new residents into SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.