What do you think of combat role play?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

I love combat roleplay. Its one of the best things on Second Life. 

Gor is by far my favorite. Unfortunately, because of the books it is based on, it has very limited "roles" for males and females. But, the advantages more than make up for it. 

• Amazing castle raids. No where else in SL can you routinely get massive raids of 20-40 people that requiring storming castles, grappling walls, battering down doors, etc
  • Realistic bow combat. Arrows fly like real arrows, with arc. If you want to hit someone running, you have to shoot above and ahead of them. This is typical in SL combat but totally unheard of in mainstream MMORGS like WoW, Conan, Warhammer, Guild Wars, etc
  • Gor is HUGE. There are dozens and dozens of sims, each a faithful recreation of a city or region from the books. Thees desert theme sims, Romaesque theme, Viking Themes, Native Indian, even a Japanese themed Gor sim, all inspired by the different regions in the novels. 
  • Gor is the "Big Pond". You can be a big fish in your little sim, but until you can fight in Gor you havent reallest tested your skills. 
Gor has gradually "softend" and some sims have started relaxing the strict "by the book" rules, in allowing more different types of roles. I have mixed feelings about whether this is a good thing or not. But the player in Gor has a choice of playing in these sims, or in the strict "by the book" sims. generally (unfortunately) these sims no longer roleplay with each other. 

I Roleplay in a place called Nomos. It's the most amazing build i've seen in all of SL and I am personally a RP heavy individual. Unfortunately, I end up fighting Lag more than my opponent. I really hope in the future LL will do more to adress the lag issue because when your character is constantly losing fights it really hinders your RP experience. My character is the leader of one of the largest clans in Nomos, and when my character is constantly defeated, it becomes known that I can't fight and really causes my character to lose the respect of all the other characters. It's the reason why i haven't RP'd in the last month and it's really disappointing because i LOVE to RP. Thank you for posting this thread. :)

Not everyone can be the best fighter. If you arent a good fighter because of lag or whatever, then you should work that into your roleplay. You can be the big boss who has tough bodyguards, or you can even let someone else be the "frontman" for the group, while you rule from the shadows, unknown and therefor safe from attack. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think its acool some places dont use meters such as Dcs2 ,CCS,or LL Damage some are just plain shooting like at the Refinery. some do use meters wich can be fun New jesse is pretty cool i just like shooting things when not at a friends club .SL has alot of open comabt places and alot of weapens sellers.. and it aslo depends on you what you like

• 2 months later...

I love combat roleplay, or in our part of the sl rp world we call it FFC - free from combat.

there are some rules but mainly it's detail we crave, meter just does not cut it when your imagination wants to let loose and run into something more extreem.

I"ve done up too 3 paragraphs in an ffc battle though I try to keep it short sometimes an attention to detail makes it a bit long.  Always expect it to take a while.

alot of us cannot handle meter in sl, our computers are not strong enough to run the graphics needed for alot of scripts and weapons, add in alot of avatars on the sim and thier scripts and weapons and that is alot of lag regardless of your pc make.

text based battle is an art form of it's own, though good rpers will use dice to dispute thier differences of opinion and it's alot of give and take.  If one side is not giving an inch or taking any damage it's sad but best to move on to something else.

I just love the detail, the swish and lunge of a weapon , so much more can be placed into a post then a simple swing of a meelee sword.  But free form and dice seem to be the best choices to keep things fair and to keep both sides content.

I wrote a little article on why I made a meter specially for Legacies 1891. If you're interested, here's the article:

http://legacies1891.com/?p=510

I truly believe it is fairer for all players to have some kind of technical restriction. This helps a great deal in the process of free-form combat, as many players love to "godmod" their way through a scene. By providing a random chance generator (posh way of saying "dice" :P ) this gives the scene more creative flow as players need to imagine and think what to do next, rather than follow a flowchart through a predetermined path. 

The excitment of roleplay is the journey, not the destination. Regardless of whether it is combat, discovery, learning, evolution or other.

Happy RPin guys

^V^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.