Second Life Forums Feedback

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second Henry's comment.  The inability to edit posts is a showstopper.  We MUST be able to correct mistakes, reword things better after a retrospective read-through, etc.  Without that ability, the forums as an educational medium, or even a meaningful discussion medium, are almost useless.  Please fix this ASAP!

Ah, thanks, Paladin.  I feel better now. :)

Lindens, I've got no other complaints so far about this new setup.  I'm sure I'll discover a headache or two as I use it more, and I'll let you know when I do, but as of now it's all good.  Nice job, guys.  Thanks for having this feedback thread, by the way.

Hi

You actually can. 

To configure your profile to jump to the firstunread thread in a post, there is an option within my settings. It can be foundhere: My Settings -> Preferences -> Linear Layout -> Check Jump tofirst unread post in a topic.

also

The icons change on the Forums and in Answers when there are new responses you have not seen.  Take a look in Community Help:  Forum icons and Answers icons.

Hope this helps!  Lots of new stuff to discover in this platform.

:smileyhappy:

Lexie Linden wrote:

Hi

You actually can. 

To configure your profile to jump to the first unread thread in a post, there is an option within my settings. It can be found here: My Settings -> Preferences -> Linear Layout -> Check Jump to first unread post in a topic.

also

The icons change on the Forums and in Answers when there are new responses you have not seen.  Take a look in Community Help: 
and

Hope this helps!  Lots of new stuff to discover in this platform.

:smileyhappy:

What about kudos and YouTube videos? Are they disabled?

So far I think it's doing ok - just four wee things (most already mentioned by others I think)

1. Light grey on white can make it very hard to read.
  2. I agree with Wil - it's hard to figure out who is replying to whom.
  3. The smileys - I'd prefer a bigger choice and the selection panel is tiny - I can hardly see them.
  4. The old GD forum became a mess but I'm hoping a more civilised version will emerge in days to come.
Other than those I like it so far - it's deffo better than jive.

Okay, I am struggling with this new format.  It may turn out to be better than the old one but it is certainly less intuitive to use. I do not know how to start a new thread, maybe I'm missing the obvious. I cannot upload the picture I used to use on the old forums because the file is too big for this one...  and the background is too bright and makes my eyes ache.

help appreciated.

Throw me in the threaded view camp. So far, the options appear to be reading older to newer or newer to older, but all in flat view. Threaded view gives you the actual flow of conversation and makes it easier to follow a string. I'd also argue that flat view leads to more argumentative threads, because people don't have the option of avoiding an argument all together like they can in threaded view. 

Going with Nathan on the Threaded view and it's reason!

I also would like to see a General Discussions, because the choice of Sub-topics are way too narrow.  GD is how people socialize when they can't be in SL. 

But I have to admit, it's a vast improvement over Jive.

As there is no 'website feedback' thread, I am posting this in the forum feedback thread.

My two suggestions are:

1. Create a Website Feedback thread in Community Feedback for issues universal to this software (such as this post).

2. Move the Community Guidelines link (top right, between My Settings and Sign Out) to top left (above the Second Life icon). In its current position, the Community Guidelines link takes up valuable real estate and is easily clicked by mistake. One might want to visit Community Guidelines once or twice a year at most, yet the link occupies the most clickable section of the screen. Much better to move it out of the way to a less active area of the screen.

• Light grey text on a paper white background is very tough on the eyes
  • No General Discussions area? People like to have a non-specific area on the official LL forums to talk about things not directly related to SL and socialize with each other. Isn't that part of a community's purpose?
  • I have to sign in twice; once on the Dashboard and once to access the new areas. Is this intended?
So far what I'm seeing looks nice and the functionality seems to be light years beyond what was here before. Hopefully the various comments will be looked at and suggestions incorporated soon.

I really like that there is a preview function, and even better, a "reply to thread" feature (so that we need not always appear to be targeting comments at one particular participant or another).

I agree that it would be better if text and backgrounds maximized contrast, particularly for people with difficulties, such as sight impairment or dyslexia.

Edited to add: when I posted my comments, I was redirected back to the start of the thread, rather than to where my comments are published.  Is there a setting where I can change this?  If not, I would really appreciate the addition of such a setting.

Edited again: ok this time when I re-posted after editing, I was redirected to my own post.....not sure what is going on there.

So far still feeling it out. One thing I do miss are a good selection of smilies that don't make the page jump and just fall in line with the text.

Smilies seems like a small thing but to me it's my body language. I can't even insert my own.

:(

I've only been on the new forums a few minutes. I like the look of it. I like a lot how it's much better sorted. I like that it seems like off topic things or topics only a few people will even get, are moved elsewhere. It's better if it's all about Second Life.

But I can't figure out how to use most of it yet. How do I get a picture by my avatar name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.