Second Life Forums Feedback

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I like it, particularly compared to the last iteration. Some comments.

1. I would have liked to have seen integration between the profile page here and the profile at my.secondlife.com - allowing me to just use that profile image, bio, etc.

2. I wish the profile image was a standard size, or at least 1:1.

3. I wish the sig line was either larger, or it was made somehow clearer to determine formatting.

Still, these are all fairly minor criticisms. 

I would have liked to see a "general" forum continue, but I can certainly understand why there may not be one, given how well it went last time. ;-)

Henry Darkthief wrote:

Nor can I edit a response once posted, which I would have used to point out that my previous response does not in any way indicate to what I was responding.

You should be able to edit your post by going to that post and using the 'Options' drop down (top right on the post) - from those options you can edit along with some other cool functions.

Henry Darkthief wrote:

I can only view one post/message at a time. I prefer the old threaded view which allowed me to quickly scan responses and who they were responding to.

You can change the way threads are displayed by going to 'My Settings' (from the black bar at the top). Then go to the 'Preferences' tab. Then have a play with the 'Display', 'Linear Layout' and 'Topic Layout' options. 

/me drives a nail into the wall and hangs his bowler cap, then gazes around slowly

Hmmm, not really crazy about the decor yet .. but I guess with a little work I could make it homey.

Seriously, a little hard to grasp for this techo-dummy, but it seems like a potential improvement once I figure out the bells and whistles.

Three requests.

1. I would like my "Registered Date" to reflect my account creation within Second Life. Surely this is just a matter of merging data from two tables. Large tables, I'm sure... but still just data in databases. I think it's far more useful information, showing my account's age and experience within SL, rather than "when I started using the Jive forums"
  2. I'd like image posting to work better. I get a lot of errors now, even when following the rules, and editing a post breaks an image reference.
  3. I would like a larger forum userpic. Second Life is a visual experience, and our "Avatars" are what drive most of Second Life's success. Please let us show off our wonderful, wacky, and creative avatars, and help us to reach and engage new SL users, by letting us show off Second Life's avatar customization by displaying "userpics" of at least 100x100.

THIS.

sl-candy-001-150.png

or even THIS.

sl-candy-001-100.png

even this would be better. (this is the actual-size version of the image you already let us upload)

sl-candy-002-128x72.png

but not this, please.

sl-candy-002-toosmall.png

Camille Serpentine wrote:

Yay? A step backward to go forwards?

What is the point of having both blogs and forums if the same things can be found in both?

The 'blogs' are set up just like forums.

That was always the case. Now you can just access them from one page via tabs.

I agree with several others that there could be some improvements; however, for the avatar pictures... i saw that you can change your packground, could you not then use a picture of yourself there? I haven't checked yet, so i'm not sure if that's possible. But if so, then it seems you could put a store logo or something in the small rectangle. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Having our Rez Day as the "Joined" date makes more sense to me, as well. If both could be displayed, or a choice with a distinction of which it was, that would be even better.

I think i like it overall though. It seems like a more convenient set-up, with a cleaner presentation. For instance, i liked the way the blogs showed up the old way, previews with text from the post and sometimes a picture.. when i saw the way they are now, as just a list of headlines, i wasn't sure if i liked it at all. After a couple minutes though, i started appreciating how easy it was to see what was up in different departments and have a quick rundown of what's the latest and greatest.

So, kudos... as long as the dents are dinged out, i like it here. :)

ETA: Oh yeah! I forgot to mention... whoever has mentioned it is right, we definitely need some sort of general chatter area. It has already started to tease with spilling over and spreading out among all the available forii. I know it may not be the prettiest sight all of the time, but it serves a purpose and is a needed function of any successful forum.

If it is at all possible to port threads from the Jive Archive area to the new area, I would very much like the scripting content forum archive to be moved.  Quite a few people spent a lot of time moving meaningful content from the VB forums to the Jive scripting forums, and I doubt that effort will ever be made again.

Plus, in the dialog I'm using right now to write this message, I don't see a cursor at all.  Using Firefox with no custom palettes or anything.

Cybin Monde wrote:

i saw that you can change your packground, could you not then use a picture of yourself there? I haven't checked yet, so i'm not sure if that's possible. But if so, then it seems you could put a store logo or something in the small rectangle. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on this.

It's possible, the problem there is that the text flows over the background, forcing you to work around it. As you can see in some of the other posts in this thread, people have done that. The results are certainly less than ideal, but if that ends up being the ONLY option, it is an option at least. My request however is to fix the actual issue, rather than developing workarounds.

Cybin Monde wrote:

I think i like it overall though. It seems like a more convenient set-up, with a cleaner presentation.

This, I definitely agree with.Cleaner, easier to navigate, more professional, and a bit more pleasant to work with. And I really feel like I've got a bazillion settings and options.

We can even use limited css markup and html in out signatures. (tables, spans, even divs are allowed, and the system is smart enough to fix errors, auto-close tags, and limit css that might break the page display. And we also seem to have a lot more space in terms of html in the signature, than we ever did, so we can load up on hyperlinks and link up our other sites, blogs, and marketplace listings, as desired.

I do wish that the signature space were a bit taller.. at least tall enough for the popular Snapzilla snapshot-signatures.

Winter Ventura wrote:

Cybin Monde wrote:

i saw that you can change your packground, could you not then use a picture of yourself there? I haven't checked yet, so i'm not sure if that's possible. But if so, then it seems you could put a store logo or something in the small rectangle. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on this.

It's possible, the problem there is that the text flows over the background, forcing you to work around it. As you can see in some of the other posts in this thread, people have done that. The results are certainly less than ideal, but if that ends up being the ONLY option, it is an option at least. My request however is to fix the actual issue, rather than developing workarounds.

Cybin Monde wrote:

I think i like it overall though. It seems like a more convenient set-up, with a cleaner presentation.

This, I definitely agree with.Cleaner, easier to navigate, more professional, and a bit more pleasant to work with. And I really feel like I've got a bazillion settings and options.

We can even use limited css markup and html in out signatures. (tables, spans, even divs are allowed, and the system is smart enough to fix errors, auto-close tags, and limit css that might break the page display. And we also seem to have a lot more space in terms of html in the signature, than we ever did, so we can load up on hyperlinks and link up our other sites, blogs, and marketplace listings, as desired.

I do wish that the signature space were a bit taller.. at least tall enough for the popular Snapzilla snapshot-signatures.

Ahh... i like that the "Quote" button includes the text quoted in the original text. :) Which reminds me (the smiley face, that is), i also dig how you can choose between a few different types of smilies (it would be cool to see this expanded with more options!).

So, yes, i can totally get on board with having more options for the pictures. I see what you mean with the text being an issue. I'll take back my original point on this, as i don't think it's a great work-around either, now that you mention it. Speaking of which, i have to figure out how to show that.

On the options thing, i heartily agree. It does feel like we have a ton of options that we can set, not to mention many of them are settings the community either has wanted or would have wanted. Of course, there are more options people would like to see.. but, it's a positive start. Who knows, maybe they'll even increase the vertical sig space? ...maybe. ;)

ETA: Got it! :)

Lexie Linden wrote:

Submit your Second Life Forums feedback in this thread please!

Since YOU are the Community Manager I'd ask you first to lengthen your post, but I'll help you on your way : since Lindens like you are here now in these revised forums along with moderators, what happened exactly to the option of having General Discussions and will they return in any form later ? Obviously the new concept is not pre-created with one in mind, but I think some people want to be specifically told officially wether this new approach is meant to facilitate these kind of discussions ( non-SL related ) or not.

I've just spend some time looking through the Preferences and other Option buttons.

1:Who's the idiot who chose grey on white as the default for the text: not just text entry but all through the page? What are you guys doing to set your monitor brightness/contract/colour balance?  I take the trouble to set mine, since I work some with CGI. I thought the old Mac/PC monitor gamma difference was long finished with. Aren't you even bothering to test?

2: so far, I haven't found any option for a threaded display of messages, as the old forums had. It looks as though you're using the unthreaded approach that was used by the old-style blogs, which made comments on controversial subjects horribly impractical to read. Having the choice is fine, but I haven't found one.

I am not impressed. So far, I wouldn't consider the system, as you have it set up, to be fit for purpose.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.