Second Life Forums Feedback

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, a thousand times no to having a General Discussion Forum...There are plenty of alternatives. I love SLU.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/

The General Discussion Forum just becomes the social meeting place of the few at the expense of the many.

Please no General Discussion Forum.  Good information gets lost and put in the wrong place while peeps with jobs that seem to allow them to post all day just run amok.  Form a group inworld, communicate via Skype...please anything but here.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dnali Anabuki wrote:

No, a thousand times no to having a General Discussion Forum...There are plenty of alternatives. I love SLU.

The General Discussion Forum just becomes the social meeting place of the few at the expense of the many.

Please no General Discussion Forum.  Good information gets lost and put in the wrong place while peeps with jobs that seem to allow them to post all day just run amok.  Form a group inworld, communicate via Skype...please anything but here.

Don't read the general discussion forum then, it's better to have a place for it than one of the forums ending up as the unofficial home, which is what happened with Resident Answers on the forums before the last ones.

Since we can't start threads in this subforum, let me briefly return to the ostensible topic of this thread for a little feedback on forum usability.

> I really love the tabs that allow quick switching between Answers, Forums, Blogs and Knowledge Base.  :smileytongue:

> I would like a "Reply to topic" button at the bottom of the last page (at the bottom of every page would work too).  I often want to reply to the OP after reading the most recent post, which in the default linear view is the bottom of the last page.  (ETA: I assume the "Reply" button on every post replies to just that post, which becomes a pain in a threaded view).

There doesn't seem to be any notifications system when content posted is removed for any reason or no reason.

I think it's a basic of any such community system that if your content is removed, that you receive a notification that the content is removed, and an excerpt from the relevant law invoked, i.e. the TOS or CS standard alleged to have been violated.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I would like an Adult-Only subforum where adult topics can be discussed.  I thought it was patently ridiculous yesteday when a word that is commonly used in a student biology textbook was considered a violation of the guidelines.  There are creators of adult content in SL, landowners and renters on adult sims and Zindra, and other adult establishments.  If we cannot use the Entertainment subforum to post things adult in nature, where then?

If people want to advertise their smut or talk about 'parts', they can use another SL forum like SLUniverse.  It's pretty obvious LL doesn't care about the adult part of SL, and I'm glad they're keeping this forum based around PG rating.

Changing forum avatar is too hard and lengthy a process.

There is not enough information.

For example, where it tells me to upload an image, it says to upload it to my "profile" page. It would be nice to have a link to the profile page!  I only found it by accident. I thought it meant my web profile, so I poked around there for a while first.

It would also be useful to know how big an image I can upload. Trial and error is okay, I guess, since this is clearly going to take several days.

And while I'm whining... the fact that I have to wait for someone to APPROVE my image, really makes me not want to do it at all.

A few new observations as I have continued to kick the tires:

• No more waiting 120 seconds between posts!
  • Images in posts now show up in my email for threads I follow by email (in the old Jive forum I only ever got links that I had to click)
  • Addition of Off Topic forum (thank you!!!!)

Stuff that bothers me:

• All emails are listed as coming from "Community Mailer." I liked it better when they had the poster's name on the "From" field.
  • Spell check flags "SL" abbreviation as a typo.
  • On Lithium's implementation on their own website, there was a "mobile" viewing option which made it much easier to read the forum and respond from a smartphone. Can we get that here too?
  • Hyperlinks are only bold text (not colored or underlined, as is typical). This is too hard to distinguish from other bold text. I think I saw someone else suggest this might only be an issue in Firefox, but I'm not sure.
  • Recent posts are no longer visible on Dashboard. That's a significant loss, because seeing posts in the Dashboard was how I ever discovered the forum in the first place.

A bit too white, though I totally understand the convenience of white, I have similar issues with the Marketplace but for those of us with visual problems an accessibility widgety thing on all white LL sites enabling us to change the background colour might be considered to be kind.  I've seen the widgety thing on a UK University site.  A minor grumble as I don't want to wear my fugly speshul glasses.

Locke Nider wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I would like an Adult-Only subforum where adult topics can be discussed.  I thought it was patently ridiculous yesteday when a word that is commonly used in a student biology textbook was considered a violation of the guidelines.  There are creators of adult content in SL, landowners and renters on adult sims and Zindra, and other adult establishments.  If we cannot use the Entertainment subforum to post things adult in nature, where then?

If people want to advertise their smut or talk about 'parts', they can use another SL forum like SLUniverse.  It's pretty obvious LL doesn't care about the adult part of SL, and I'm glad they're keeping this forum based around PG rating.

You are making assumptions.  Plus, if you do not wish to look in that area, no one would force you to do so.

A good idea to keep the forums focussed, but currently there aren't enough of them.  My suggestions for new forums:

- Bugs/Problems - a place to discuss problems with connectivity and features before raising them as a JIRA.

- Open Source - bring this one back

- Beta Grid - a place to dicuss mesh or whatever else is being trialled there.

- Adult - a clear need for an area to discuss aspects of stuff in the Adult parts of the grid.

- Social - not the return of GD (there are better places for that outside this web-site) but  a place for people to discuss social activities inside and outside SL

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

A good idea to keep the forums focussed, but currently there aren't enough of them.  My suggestions for new forums:

- Bugs/Problems - a place to discuss problems with connectivity and features before raising them as a JIRA.

- Open Source - bring this one back

- Beta Grid - a place to dicuss mesh or whatever else is being trialled there.

- Adult - a clear need for an area to discuss aspects of stuff in the Adult parts of the grid.

- Social - not the return of GD (there are better places for that outside this web-site) but  a place for people to discuss social activities inside and outside SL

Those are good suggestions, and I'd like to also see the old technical forum for "Mac Users" brought back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4064 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.