Resident Last Name Permanent?

KuroiKarasu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yea uh, I've read the wiki for SL and it stated that short term users are given the last name Resident, but longterm users are given the opportunity to choose a last name other than Resident.

To me that's pretty vague, short term means you won't be on long, long term obviously means you'll be on for a long time. So considering this, is the name Resident temporary until you've reached a certiain SL age? Or is the Resident surname permanent?

11 answers to this question

Sounds badly written to me. The single name login ID is relatively new and as a result there are still viewers around that require 2 name logins, thats why the "Resident" last name is needed. If you are on a new viewer the name doesn`t show on yoru name tag or friends list, because technically its not part of your name.

The new system is to use Display Names if you want 2 names.

• Like 1

short term and long term users? that's the first time i have heard that, but then again i haven't read the entire wiki (yet) but the "last name" resident is permanent either way. at least until the lab people decide they want to call us something else

you do have the option to use a display name. this way you can set any name for yourself that you like (within certain rules). but not everyone may see it as they have chosen not to show display names as they are veryvery evol

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Display_Names

• Like 1

So basically your saying that the last name Resident isn't actually there, although when i log into Phoenix it requires me to use Resident, as well as when someone puts me into a time clock in world, it requires them to use the Resident last name, as well as when you search in people, Resident shows as the last name. That sounds pretty lame in my opinion... Petition to revert back to choosing your own last name? -.-'

Epic fail on this decision SL! -.-'

bee Baroque wrote:

short term and long term users? that's the first time i have heard that, but then again i haven't read the entire wiki (yet)

Searching with Google the wiki has the same problem. I cannot find in the wiky any reference to "long" and "short" term users (and "users"?? in the wiki??). But who knows

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.