FITTED MESH - Tell me what you think?

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on a new line of clothes and fitted mesh being a new feature of 2014 is in my list to add. 

The thing is i'm a bit sceptical over wether adding fitted mesh is a good idea. I've heard that some clothes designers used it for some clothes then stopped. Some have said fitted mesh works great. I dont want to spend alot of work making my clothes fitted if the end result does not add anything much to the user's experience.

So i thought i'd start a thread and ask users to come forward with their fitted mesh tales. 

• Has it made for a better or worst look?

• Does it work?

• or perhaps you have not yet even heard of it?

• How many of you are currently wearing a fitted mesh item?

Loki Eliot wrote:

I'm working on a new line of clothes and fitted mesh being a new feature of 2014 is in my list to add. 

The thing is i'm a bit sceptical over wether adding fitted mesh is a good idea. I've heard that some clothes designers used it for some clothes then stopped. Some have said fitted mesh works great. I dont want to spend alot of work making my clothes fitted if the end result does not add anything much to the user's experience.

So i thought i'd start a thread and ask users to come forward with their fitted mesh tales. 

• Has it made for a better or worst look?

• 
Does it work?

• 
or perhaps you have not yet even heard of it?

• How many of you are currently wearing a fitted mesh item?

It only strikes me being useful to wear over a fitted mesh body with compatible weighting. The default avatar body just scales too differently to work well with it. However, it's got real potential when used with a body like the Slink Physique or Belleza Venus body and some stores are already coming out with compatible mesh clothing for them. I see that particular market exploding in 2015 similar to how most new women's shoes are now built to fit Slink feet.

I know you work with kid/young teen avatars. If you offer a fitted mesh young body with compatible fitted mesh clothes it should be pretty popular, especially since the current fitted mesh bodies don't scale down well, especially for small breast sizes.

• Like 1

It is odd but I find some fitted mesh for women seem to have a very distorted hip area  actually looks very pointy,  not at all smooth and curvy like hips should be..  I am unable to bring my own mesh work into SL due to my 3D program doesn't save in the format LL requires to get it into SL..  So I use templates I buy from other mesh makers and texture them myself..  If a person purshasing fitted mesh does not have a shape that they can alter or play with I am sure they don't wanna walk around with pointed hips, so I stopped doing fitted mesh and went back to the regular mesh for the outfits I put out.  That is just my experience with it so far.  

(and before someone goes to the trouble of telling me how to upload my own mesh to blender and convert it to .dae format then bring it up to SL,  don't bother I have tried that and the end result never comes up anywhere close to what it is supposed to look like.)

• Like 1

I am amused and annoyed that fitted mesh bodies don't work with the rigged mesh clothes of so-called Stadard sizes when the body is adjusted to meet the Standard specs. Some of these bodies and many of the clothes are from the same minds behind the Standard sizes. Have a considerable investment in clothes for the old school bodies so I am in no hurry to spend more money for a body for for other clothes.

Loki Eliot wrote:

What i mean though is when you go out to buy clothes for your avatar, does the fact an item is listed as 'fitted' make you more likly to buy it? or do you try fitted and unfitted clothign and choose what ever suits your avatar?

I think this may be a hard question to answer because the answer is it depends on how good it looks in the eye of the beholder.  And you may have to experiment to see in general which looks better on a smaller Ava's.  The advice that we give with mesh is to always try the demo first because in a sense not all mesh is created equal.

In other words, I dont think people care so much whick kind it is.  They only care if it looks good.

Also you have an advantage.  Because much of what you do is for child Ava's, you dont have to worry as much about things like bouncing boobs popping out of the clothes.

Forgive me for brand loyalty, but I often make my clothing choices more on a "look" that I associate with particular creators than with the features of that clothing.

I do find that many (if not most) of the outfits that I currently wear do include at least a few fitted mesh items.  But they were not bought for that feature, rather because I liked the way they looked on other avvies, or they were in a line whose look I already knew and admired.

So in answer to you question, but for myself only, I would say that making every single article of clothing you sell be fitted mesh would not be the best investment of your creative energy.

Thank you for soliciting feedback.  I hope this helps.

Loki Eliot wrote:

What i mean though is when you go out to buy clothes for your avatar, does the fact an item is listed as 'fitted' make you more likly to buy it? or do you try fitted and unfitted clothign and choose what ever suits your avatar?

Quite the opposite.

If its fitted - I suspect it won't fit.

"Fitted" mesh usually fails to fit anyone who isn't using the exact same shape as its original maker used...

Not enough fitted mesh makers test their creations against a diverse range of shapes to make sure they have weighting down well enough - and the result is often a disaster. Like boots that, no matter what leg muscle setting you use, are always 1% thinner than the leg they are supposed to be covering rather than inside of... because for some reason they're fixed to an avatar with a height dial of 73 or a foot size of 12 or a package dial value... or... random...

I woudn't buy any mesh clothes without trying a demo first but as it turns out fitted usually fits better so I prefer those.

For pants I think fitted mesh even is a necessity but that is due to the standard avi used for creating mesh clothes which has apparently rather skinny leg's and the knee angle set at 50% turning my avi into the famous invisible horserider. With fitted mesh pants I can give my avi a normal look by tweaking the muscles a bit so I do have a few of those. I still have to buy my first pair of "normal" ones.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Re: FITTED MESH - Tell me what you think?

Reply to Loki Eliot - view message

‎11-28-2014 06:59 PM

Forgive me for brand loyalty, but I often make my clothing choices more on a "look" that I associate with particular creators than with the features of that clothing.

I do find that many (if not most) of the outfits that I currently wear do include at least a few fitted mesh items.  But they were not bought for that feature, rather because I liked the way they looked on other avvies, or they were in a line whose look I already knew and admired.

So in answer to you question, but for myself only, I would say that making every single article of clothing you sell be fitted mesh would not be the best investment of your creative energy.

Re: FITTED MESH - Tell me what you think?

Reply to Loki Eliot - view message

‎11-28-2014 06:59 PM

So in answer to you question, but for myself only, I would say that making every single article of clothing you sell be fitted mesh would not be the best investment of your creative energy.Congratulations! You have a new rank on Community.secondlife.com.

From: **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**s://secondlife.i.lithium.com/html/rank_icons/rank_ll_employee_2.png" border="0" /> Representative Linden
Sent: ‎02-22-2016 10:38 AM

Congratulations, satuhoshimoureau!

As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank. Your new rank is Resident. To learn more about ranks and roles on Community.secondlife.com, please visit here.

We appreciate your efforts and hope you will continue to be an active member of the community.

Thanks!

The Second Life Community Team

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.