Neighbor's hippoSECURE system restricts movements on my parcel

Gordon Nadezda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Last Thursday, I purchased a 4096 meter parcel on a mainland region. Almost immediately, as I flew above my new parcel, at about 700 meters, I began to receive dozens of warnings from my neighbor's hippoSECURE security system telling me that I would be removed if I did not leave their parcel. The neighboring parcel is group owned, but the hippoSECURE warnings revealed an individual's name.

I was nowhere near the group's parcel, but I'm familiar with this system and realized it was misconfigured. I soon discovered that my movements were restricted at various other altitudes, like 1300 meters, 2000 meters, etc, basically any altitude this group had constructed a sky platform, I could not access it while within my own parcel's boundaries. At least, not without receiving neverending warnings.

I contacted the listed owner. He seemed to understand that his system was effectively restricting my movements, but did not do anything about it even after several hours. I even sent him a link to hippo's user manual and quoted the exact fix.

The next day, I chatted with a Linden Lab support agent, but was told there was nothing he could do to help me. He told me that inworld issues were off limits to him and that I needed to file an abuse report. In fact, he suggested I file one for each occurrence, but that woudl be impractical.  I have filed at least 1-2 reports each day for the past 4 days, but nothing has been done. I"ve received no response from the reports other than the canned response everyone receives.

The support agents can't do anything about inworld problems and a Governing body investigates Abuse Reports. How long does it typically take them to take action? What other recourse do I have besides selling the parcel and leaving Second Life?

12 answers to this question

This may take a while, I'm afraid - since you can use your land (even though with restrictions) you won't make it to any high priority level. Keep on ARing your neighbour is the best advice - and keep on buggiing your neighbour - if needs be, use a little gentle force - or as the they always do in The Godfather "I made him an offer he can't refuse."

• Like 1

It has been exactly 7 days and Linden Lab has done nothing as far as I can tell to resolve the issue. Attempts to persuade the neighbor have failed. I am effectively relegated to the surface and a few altitudes.

I certainly hope LL's new CEO monitors these threads. I'd like him to know that Premium Support told me in no uncertain terms there was nothing they could do for inworld issues, that my only recourse is to keep filing Abuse Reports or QUIT Second Life. I have the chat logs to prove it!

well, there are a few ways i would go about getting around the foolish owner to fix it.

1. contact who ever 'owns' the land, as in whoever the region belongs to if possible. im not quite sure if thats a viable option, since most of the land i own are private islands that belong to one person or another.

2. if you have parcle access rights, remove them from the list of allowed groups, or set it to no access. if they complain, simply return the same reply they gave you. and ask them to configure the damn thing properly. if they do, remove the acess restrictions.

i dono, im just tossing ideas out there.

Ophelia Pelazzi wrote:

What category are you using to file the report? I would go with encroachment and griefing myself. The secure thing is effectively spam griefing you on your own parcel. Griefing tends to get a bit higher priority.

I've been alternating between the Harrassment > Impeding Movement and Disturbing the Peace > Repetitve Spam categories. If I don't move out of the scanner's range quickly, I will be inundated by the warnings, which is impeding my movements. The multiple warnings are also repetive spam. I'm just not sure which one, if any, will get the esteemed Governing Body's imperial attention (sarcasm meant). By now, I've submitted at least a dozen AR's during the past 7 days.

It's mainland, so no one Resident/Resident Group owns the region. The offending parcel is group owned, so I have no one person to report. The only resident I can report is the name of the person associated with the HippoSecure warning message.

Peewee.Musytari wrote:

Hey hey Gordon, don`t ya wish you still lived on a private sim?

I greatly enjoyed living on a private sim, but I am not spending as much time in SL anymore. I didn't see the sense in paying over three times as much when all I need is around 4500 sqm. Honestly, I have one foot out the door already with SL. The Governing Body's complete and total ignorance of my ARs is quickly pushing me the rest of the way out.

I've spend hundreds of dollars over the past several months in SL, but you wouldn't know it judging by the reaction I've received from Linden Lab.

Hiya, there must be an owner or owners of the group, if it's not the owner of the hippo then they may be more than happy to help. If it were one of my renters I would fix it in a flash for you.

Other than that keep ARing and see if anyone else around is being bothered, maybe they can AR as well.

(The first time I got a complaint about the hippo secure i was confused becuase I was sure i'd set it up right, it took me a couple of days to correct it, sadly the system doesn't just cross parcel boundaries but sim boundaries too, even if it is setup correctly. I try to avoid using it these days.)

Calveen Kline wrote:

Gordon, I don't know if this would work with hippo but have you tried muting the device and/or owner of the device? Just an ide

Thank you for your reply. Your answer inspired me to locate all of the "Ejector" units used by my neighbor's HippoSecure system and I have reported each one of them by name, location, and owner to Linden Lab for disturbing the peace > repetitive spam. Now, we'll see if LL does anything at all about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.