Sign in to follow this  
Lightesword Xue

Blender and Archipelis not feeling the love!

I'm trying to import an archipelis file that has been formated as a collada file (dae) into blender and my blender software (2.72a) is crashing when it attempts to import.

Is anyone else having this problem---- I'm thinking that blender is not loving the archipelis version of DAE.

That being said does anyone know if there is a fix. Thanks!

Are you meaning to tell me NO ONE has tried Archipelis and tried to do tweaking in Blender? NO ONE? Come one people, someone has to know, I can't be the only one on this planet that has tried this.

If you found a collada file that breaks blender's collada importer, then please report a bug to the blender bug tracker at:

https://developer.blender.org/

Please add the .dae file that causes Blender to break. Your issue will certainly be inspected. If possible the problem will be solved.

Gaia, you never fail to help out. Thanks a bunch! I'll report it, most definately. 

I fixed it, well, it's a temporary fix at least until Blender is able to do this on it's own.

After some thinking, I figured, why not import the DAE file I made in Archipelis into another program, then save that DAE in that program instead and then try uploading into Blender? It worked.

So here's what you need to do (for those who /might/ have my problem).

Make your mesh in Archipelis, install Sketchup, upload the DAE from Archipelis into Sketchup. Save the DAE file again in Sketchup and upload into Blender. THEN.. in Blender, you will see several copies of the item you originally uploaded.. (I think that's the root cause of the Blender crashing) .. delete all of these copies except for one. Then go to EDIT MODE and REMOVE DOUBLES.. then hit SUBDIVIDE. Boom done. I plan on making a video tutorial for this problem.. but for the time being... this works.. and it's perfect... but yea that error needs to be addressed, I'll get right on that.

Seems kind of neat. Similar to a free tool, I think was called Flopps, or something like that.

I took a quick look at it, and it exports OBJ files also. That is all you need. Not a Dae. The OBJ will have everything you need. It might be different if the mesh was rigged and all, but they aren't.