"Install" button is out of reach... can't reposition window to reach it.

JohnRain62

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to install Second Life on a Dell Studio laptop.  Not surprisingly, I get a screen that says "Click install to begin."  But the amazing thing is that the "Install" button is behind the task bar AND can't be dragged to a position where it is reachable.  Total Nightmare.  I need to be on this software for a class in an hour, and I can't even get the software installed.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Best,

John Rain

Washginton, DC

10 answers to this question

I can't open that .doc file but what I believe has happened is that. somehow, your monitor screen resolution has been changed.  It's best to use your monitor's "resident" resolution.  Using a resolution that is less well effectively show larger images, text and such but it clips the top, bottom and sides of your display.

I'm including a screen shot of my settings found using the path I've circled in the screen shot.  I use Windows 7 so if you are using Vista or XP that path might be somewhat different but you can find it in your control panel.  If you don't know your monitor's resident resolution just drop the menu down and choose "recommended".....Windows will set your resolution to the detected resident resolution.  I think when you look at your dialog you'll see your resolution is set to something less than the recommended.  Having a smaller resolution will make things appear larger but it also cuts off some of the display........in your case you need what has been cut off.

Hope this fixes it for you.

Peggy, I think you and PeeWee were both right.... I ended up repositioning the task bar on the right of my screen... probably totally unnecessary, but I wasn a panic after they told me my new course would be starting in a new software. =0

But class was canceled due to snow where they were broadcasting from, so I'll get to be a real pro (kidding) in SL by next class.

Thanks,

JohnRain62

That's too obvious.  Couldn't be right.  No way.  No sirree, Bob.  Uh-uh.  I would have see that right away.  First thing.  No, actually it was a very, very, very complicated technical problem.  (In effect, I had to slabork the hinkyjib resolution.)  Very complicated. 

But thanks for trying, Peewee.

=0

JohnRain62

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.