Height limit for run scripts and for rez an object?

Irene Muni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Technically a sim is a huge box that is 4096m high, so outside of that is regarded as offworld, but inside that height you are still on that sim & should be able to do all things you can do at lower heights.

There are some items with old scripts that still don`t seem to know that the world has changed and I have a gadget that rezzes things and if I am up too high the items automatically still rezz at 768m (the old max height).

• Like 1

I don't think that height of 4096 meters is correct for the height of a sim.  I've been above 50,000 meters with my flight feather.  Worn objects or prims stay worn, the scripts (such as animations) work at that height............though editing prims is very wonky (so I assume edit doesn't work).  But as for rezzing prims or objects (even with a script) above 4096 meters just isn't going to work.....not in any reliable fashion anyway.  As far as I know, there is no uppper limit to a sim or parcel.  It's defined by the software.......4096 meters is a cap LL placed on the build height for whatever reason (most likely related to resources of the servers).  But, I've heard rumors of people going 1,000,000 meters high.....how true that is I don't know.  I know you can go above 50,000 since I've done it.

There's no hard and fast limit for script use altitude. If you can fly to that altitude, (with a scripted flight assist), generally all other scripts still work as well. I've heard of people reaching well over 100,000 Meters, though after 6,000 or so it's academic, since there's nothing up that high but you, and the only thing that changes is the altitude reading on the screen.

You can't rez prims above 4096 Meters. It's possible to physically move them above that height limit after creating them, but anything that moves them even the slightest amount after that, including scripted actions like opening a door prim, will make the linkset snap back down to 4096 Meters altitude. So again, moving prims above the 4096 M altitude limit is relatively pointless.

• Like 1

You can absolutely go higher than 4096m, but not for any practical purpose...I have flown up over 1,000,000m too...its quite a trip to see your avvie destabilise and look like its melted LOL

4096m is just the height of the sim, in the sense that all sim functions will work within that height, all prims will be counted & can be tracked/returned using about land & searching for objects using top scripts in the estate menu will search up to that height. Also if you sent an object up into space from the ground by changing its height to some high number, it would stop at 4096m.

I think we're talking semantics.  The reason I say the upper limit of a sim (or the grid) is not at 4096 meters was your equating it to going off grid.  You can't leave the grid unless you log out or crash.  You can "appear" to go off grid if you lose your connection to the servers......that endless walking or flying trip to la-la land (that's just the viewer continuing to display you're surroundings using the last bit of information received from the servers and calculating the next scene).  You are not in-world because you have no connection to the servers..........you're, for all practical purposes, crashed but not technically crashed.  If you run up to the edge of the grid you just stop, bounce off or whatever, but you do not go off grid.  If the grid ended at 4096 or a little above you'd just stop going up..........you don't do that.  Further you can chat, IM, change clothes, sort inventory, run animations, even edit your appearance (I've done all those things before).  That indicates that you are, indeed, still on the grid.  The one thing I did try that didn't work so well was to edit a prim skirt I was wearing..........it basically exploded when I went to "edit linked parts".  I found the skirt in pieces at 4096 when I fell back to my platform which is at 4001 meters.

That's my experience with prims above 4096.  The end result is that you cannot build above the 4096 meter limit with any reliability.  I think you can run scripts but I would not swear to that.  It appears the upper build limit is something that LL has put in place but it's just a software thing and they probably could raise that limit to most anything they wanted.........server resources would seem to be the real limiting factor (but that's just a guess on my part).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.