Secondlife Sandboxes & borders

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

RANDOM AND OFF-TOPIC PICTURE POSTING WILL BE REPORTED.

Anyone else remember the days when crossing a sim border with something with a follower script would work without the "can't move object" idiocy? Linden Labs... THIS IS WHY I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD EVEN BOTHER MAKING A SECOND LIFE 2 OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU ARE WORKING ON -----> ss+(2014-11-19+at+10.24.19).jpg

And that, is only 1 picture of what I find screwed up about secondlife... I could easily tell you that a window within a window within a tab is NOT the intelligent way to make a chat bar.... it only adds to the list of "**bleep** that doesn't need to be blocking my screen"... I know you MAY HAVE thought "If we turn off object entry, maybe people will stop griefing sandboxes with physical spam" HOWEVER, you are sadly mistaken... and as far as I am aware, MOST if not ALL of the incident reports you get, only get up to a 14 day suspension or just a warning... since 2007...which is pathetic

Could you please post more details including - location, objects involved, attempted method, script etc plus - are you the facelighted one or the nose buried one? and which bit are you sitting on anyway? More Pics please...with a line where the sim edge is.

Theres a sandbox you can drive over the edge to another?

either way, they should just do their jobs instead of being lazy about griefers and changing sandbox settings, I used to be able to cross sims with following objects all the time, given they have the physics watch scripts Also, driverless vehicles? really? I can end up crashing while trying to cross a border and THEN the vehicle becomes driverless... so they didnt solve anything.

Dude, I saw your edit there, but as it directly contradicts what you said about LL not acting on most incident reports, what makes you think they'll take down posts you don't like, especially within a general discussion thread?

Xpect youll be blazing mad at me right now too, and thats ok. Frustration needs venting, so vent away.

I don't actually remember a time when crossing sims was anything less than problematic. Some times I've only been walking a cross a sim line and lost a boot (yes, scripted one). After all these years apart from getting a job at LL yourself and doing the job you believe they're not doing right in your opinion your choices are to live with the sim crossing deal, use race tracks only, or bog off to another type of game that is great for vehicularing around. theres worse things happen at sea, mate.

Ghost Warblood wrote:

either way, they should just do their jobs instead of being lazy about griefers and changing sandbox settings,
I used to be able to cross sims with following objects all the time
, given they have the physics watch scripts Also, driverless vehicles? really? I can end up crashing while trying to cross a border and THEN the vehicle becomes driverless... so they didnt solve anything.

Cross which SIMS where? 

SIM crossings have always been problematic.  And we'd all love to see the problems fixed.

But let me ask you a question.  Can you point out to me a Virtual World where they aren't problematic?  And please don't tell me Open SIM with it's empty spaces and almost zero server load.

Yeah it can get frustrating cause we think we should be able to do this problem free.  But the fact of the matter is we have something here that essentially no one else is doing.  Virtual Worlds are not these everyday common place thing that exists all over the Internet.  And maybe one reason why is that they aren't as easy to do as some people try to make them out to be.  25,000 and more interconnected Simulators processing how much information in Real Time?

I know, I do my share of griping also.  But then I remember:

beware.jpg

Ghost we being a bit cheeky by post pics at you. Is bc you done a really good vent. Is not every day we get a really good vent on here (:

+

about the actual issue. Is correct what you say about the way most public sandboxes are set up these days. Is a pita when building vehicles for inter-sim travel

ok. what I do

make it in the sandbox as far as I can. Like build-wise and general framework for the scripts

then go on the mainland roads. Find a Rez Zone. Many of them are on a sim boundary. Rez it there. And then Sit on it

bc are sitting then it wont be auto-returned. Can mod/tune the scripts while sitting. Test by drive across the boundary and back. If I do have to Stand then save all scripts. then stand. Get the vehicle out of Lost and Found folder. (making copies as I go). Rez again. Sit. Mod. Test. Go 

"Can you point out to me a Virtual World where they aren't problematic?  " There.com used to be in shape of a round planet with no border crossing and had an outerspace atmosphere believe it or not. and I am originally from the teen grid where the sandboxes had object entry enabled in the past. the sandboxes with TG in the name are the ones I'm talking about.

Ghost Warblood wrote:

"Can you point out to me a Virtual World where they aren't problematic?  "
There.com used to be in shape of a round planet with no border crossing and had an outerspace atmosphere believe it or not. and I am originally from the teen grid where the sandboxes had object entry enabled in the past. the sandboxes with TG in the name are the ones I'm talking about.

There is no longer Here.  ;)

And if you are testing Vehicles then LL has set up an area for guess what?  Testing vehicles with as Obvious pointed out Object Entry allowed.

As far as the Teen Grid went, well, it's like the saying goes, 'you're not in Kansas anymore.'

Notwithstanding, I agree with you about CHUI.  It behaves like the aborted after thought of a Klingon Programmer that only a Ferengi mother could love.  OK, maybe not quite that bad but Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ghost Warblood wrote:

There.com used to be in shape of a round planet with no border crossing and had an outerspace atmosphere believe it or not.

There is no longer Here. 
;)

I had to check. Surprisingly it is There. Old There users can even resurrect their old accounts in the new There. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

(The original There.com service was shut down early in 2010. 'New' There requires a $10/month fee for each avatar. 'Old' There did not. Pssttt... the avatars look like... cartoons, crap that is.)

Ghost Warblood wrote:

it's not about wanting to "test" vehicles, it's about being able to drive a truck with a trailer across SANDBOXES
"Testing vehicles with as Obvious pointed out Object Entry allowed."
made NO sense to me. and as far as the teen grid went? do explain...

I guess you have your reasons for wanting to drive accross sandboxes.  The general purpose for Sandboxes is building and testing. Linden Lab has set up a specific area for doing this with Vehicles.   If you have other reasons for wanting to drive accross the Sandboxes that are not set up for this then that is your problem.

As far as my comment on the Teen Grid, I toured it when it was merged.  People, myself included, complain about unsightly clutter on the Mainland.  The Teen Grid out did the Mainland for unsightly clutter.  But that's all past history now.

Unfortunately, I don't understand anything that I like about SL, however I can safely say there was 3 types of games that I went by, imvu > THERE > secondlife, from just sitting in a 3D room to roaming a planet sized world to customization, but if i were to judge by admin/moderator doing their jobs of banning trolls or griefers or whatever... secondlife would be at the bottom of my list. I remember back around 2007 - 2009 crossing a border with a vehicle wasn't that laggy...now a days I am always clinching my butt when flying a helicopter across a border (which all it does now is a fricking barrel roll)

the vehicle sandboxes i've been to are mainly for aircraft and boats and when there is a place for driving, it's mostly on an island surrounded by water.

unsightly clutter? I'm sorry I still don't follow... MG still had more sims than TG, sorry... still DOES. infact i've seen most sims that were apart of the TG get placed over to the MG mainland (example: Bay City)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.