About scripts....

isis Grashnar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

isis Grashnar wrote:

Can someone explain how i check the scripts and prims on an item?

You can edit the object. In the Content tab you will see the scrips. And you can open the script (asuuming the script is Modificable...). In the General tab you can see the number of prims of the object.

isis Grashnar wrote:

Maybe this one should have been first but, can someone explain what scripts and prims are exactly? I kind of know but want to be sure.

Script is a a piece of code. A little program writed in a programming language (Linden Scripting Language LSL), The script create an effect in the object (or in the prim). See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Script

About "prim" see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Prim

• Like 1

isis Grashnar wrote:

Can someone explain how i check the scripts and prims on an item? also can you check these things before you purchase?

Maybe this one should have been first but, can someone explain what scripts and prims are exactly? I kind of know but want to be sure.

A Prim (Primitive) is an SL building block - They can be made into all different shapes & sizes and linked together to make objects. Everything in SL is made of prims.

A Script is a coded message placed inside a prim to make the prim (or an avatar that touches or sits on the prim) perform some sort of action.

Counting scripts/prims in objects is only possible if you can actually click on the object, so for example if something was in a vendor or sale sign you couldn`t actually click on the object.

Assuming that you can click on the object, you can count the prims by right-clicking and going to EDIT, in the edit box above the line of tabs (on the right) you will see:

Selected Objects: 1

Primitives: 84

To count the scripts, close the edit box, right-click the object again, select MORE, MORE, S.COUNT - You will then see a message in chat like:

Scripts Counted: 6

Prims don`t really cause lag, well not exactly, textures and scripts mainly the cause. Not all scripts are evil, some are just performing harmless efficient little tasks and hardly affect sim resources, so it is more the types of scripts than the number of them that is the problem. I know that sounds quite vague but its quite a complicated topic and subject to endless debate in SL.

You can switch on your ARC (Avatar Rendering Cost) which will give a number over your head that can be a clue to how laggy your avatar is, on my viewer (Phoenix) it is located in Advanced Menu > Rendering > Info Displays. Ideally you want your avatar below 400 but with prim hair etc it is very hard sometimes to be that good, a big red 7000 is bad lol

As for objects, I have a pair of boots in 4 parts with the following script counts:

Scripts Counted: 154
Scripts Counted: 184
Scripts Counted: 78
Scripts Counted: 59

Its safe to say they are not very lag friendly boots lol

Unless the maker tells you about the prim count and scripts, there is no way to know before you buy.

For a clear understanding of 'what's a prim?' open the build dialog. On some viewers press 'B' and on others Ctrl-B to open the build dialog. At the top you will see all the primiative bilding shapes available.

A script is a small computer program that causes something to happen. In SL some scripts are not so small.

Scripts can be put in prims to make them do things, move, rotate, change color, etc.

With some viewers there is a feature labeled S. Count that allows you to get a count of the scripts an avatar is wearing or that are in an object. But an object within a vendor can't be clicked on, so one sees the scripts for the vendor.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.