Sign in to follow this  
rayne Faulds

Why my /me doesn't work

Question

I`m not sure how that broke your /me if you type /2 all that would do is make whatever you say transmit on channel 2 instead of channel 0 (channel 0 is world chat) so typing something on channel 2 would not show up in world chat and would only be heard by anything listening on channel 2.

Hope that made sense lol

19 answers to this question

I`m not sure how that broke your /me if you type /2 all that would do is make whatever you say transmit on channel 2 instead of channel 0 (channel 0 is world chat) so typing something on channel 2 would not show up in world chat and would only be heard by anything listening on channel 2.

Hope that made sense lol

Thanks for replying!  I understand that logic... but I typed something to turn this on that is replacing my /me with /2/me... do you have any idea how to turn that off and get back to the default?  Thanks again!

OK!! We are getting somewhere!  Using that logic, I typed in /0/me action and it worked!  But how do I make that the default again where the /me happens automatically on channel 0 vs channel 2?? we're so close!! lol

I typed //    then /me action and still nothing.    I typed //2 and then /me action and still nothing.  I typed //me action and nothing   What command line should I type exactly?  Sorry if I'm being noob lol 

I typed /2/me smiles and it broke her, /0/me smiles half fixed her and just // and then /me smiles works like normal now.

What viewer are you on? I`m using Phoenix

I am on Phoenix also.  My boyfriend tried to break himself and the /2/me didn't actually "break" him because it didn't make him always go to channel 2.  He was able to very next time do /me and it went to channel 0.   Likewise, when I tried //  and // then /me action it didn't fix me   We need to find out how to change the default channel back to 0?

My initial guess, based on the symptoms you describe, would be that you've got a gesture active on your avatar that's replacing the "/me" string with "/2". I can imagine a gesture like that being used to redirect /me text to a scripted attachment that's listening to channel 2 in order to do some sort of special processing on it. Since gestures don't fill an attachment point it's pretty easy to accidentally leave one active when you replace the item that it goes with.

Search your inventory for the string "(active)" to locate all of the gestures you currently have active, and if there are any you don't recognize try deactivating them. If it's modifiable double-clicking on it will show you what it actually does, so if you prefer you can try finding one that triggers on /me and replaces it with /2.

Hope that's what's wrong, since that should be an easy thing to solve.

• Like 1

I GOT IT!!!!!   It was a gesture this RP place gave me that were activated! GRRRRRRRRR!!!! Once I found them, I deactivated them and it fixed me!!!!

Thank you SOOOOOO much for ALL your time and your help!! 

I like your guess Nica cos I just found an RP site talking about ways to force the channel switch for RPs to chat in character without having to keep typing the /2 ...I guess they found a way with a gesture trigger to replace chat text with the /2

Inspired guess if you nailed it

Why doesn`t that instruction notecard tell people how to fix themselves after?

Yours was actually the EXACTLY correct answer but I had found it and was typing the thank yous before I saw your response so I gave the "correct answer" pts to the girl who tried so hard to help me.  I did give you the points for helpful answer... if it is possible to switch that I will

Thank you so much!

Heh. Guess I was just slightly too late responding to this thread to save you time, you figured it out on your own. Sorry.

Using gestures to redirect text into another channel for scripts to read it is a fairly common pattern on SL, though, so hopefully this will prove to be useful information for others as well.

Heh! I wasn't even aware you could get "points" for answering here, I just saw the title of this thread in the recent activity list and suspected I knew the answer. Feel free to give them to whomever you like. I wouldn't know what to do with them.