Cant stay online

TxDave

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I am having some real issues staying connected.  Sometimes I can run around SL for hours then other times I get in and get logged off within a few minutes.  I have checked the specs and my pc meets or exceeds all of them, my wife is having the same issue on her Laptop.

We are both hard wired to our internet router.  We would really like to try and resolve this issue as wwe both enjoy our time in SL.

I contacted our ISP today and they are sending out a tech tomorrow.

But is there anything we might should be setting or checking on our pcs.

I have attached the DXDIAG results, for anyone curious about what I am running.

TxDave

6 answers to this question

Hello TxDave, please check for connection difficulties

• Your home network
  • Use of a wireless network
  • Your ISP
  • A third-party Internet connection between your ISP and our host.
  • Occasionally with our provider's network

I use a 3rd party programme called Ping Plotter to constantly monitor my connection.

..other times I get in and get logged off within a few minutes

Use Statistics Bar to see a detailed list of information about the performance of your computer and the Second Life world.

Bandwidth: How much data is being transferred between your  computer and the Second Life world. This number varies wildly depending  on what bandwidth settings you've used, where you are inworld, what's  going on, and whether you're still loading some things  (objects/textures/etc) that are in your field of view. If bandwidth is  0kbps, something may be wrong (you may be partially disconnected).

Packet Loss: The amount of data being lost as it travels  between your computer and the server. Any nonzero packet loss is bad;  packetloss above 10% is very bad. Packet loss might be caused by a dying  server (in which case everyone in the region would be experiencing it),  a bad connection between you and Second Life (possibly a bad router  between your ISP and Second Life, or congestion at your ISP), or  problems on your local network (wireless networking, or internet  security or firewall software on your computer).

Ping Sim: How long it takes data to go from your computer  to the region you're currently in. This is largely dependent on your  connection to the Internet.

Does this happen in specific Region ?

Does it happen on a specific day of the week or at a specific time of day ?

Have you checked for the latest firmware for your router ?

What is the Upload speed on your connection ?

What are the Bandwidth settings in Preferences > Setup for all the Viewers using the connection at the same time ?

• Like 1

Its not a Netgear router by any chance is it?

For some reason some Netgear routers can`t stay connected to SL at all & it seems neither LL nor Netgear can offer any solution to it. The fact that you can sometimes stay connected for hours is different, but even if its not Netgear I would suggest that it is still some sort of Router issue as that is what both your computers have in common.

• Like 1

I ran the ping test as you suggested the results are as follows:

ping: 42ms

jitter: 5ms

packet loss 0%

I will try turning my bandwidth down and see what that does.

I attempted to download WinMTR and the web site is having a problem so I couldn't get that program.

Verizon is sending out a tech tomorrow to check things.

We are both hardwired to the router so no wireless there and we use Verizon DSL so no wireless there either it is all hardwired.

Thank you for your time and assitstance.

TxDave

Well it seems the problem was with Verizon.

We had upgraded to 4mb - 7mb DSL package and had some trouble and wasn't getting the speed we requested, we downgraded back to the 1.5mb - 3mb package and Verizon forgot to change our account. This caused their system to detect low speed and begin diagnostic to try and find the problem. The Diagnostic testing caused even slower speeds and loss of bandwidth.  The tech came out today discovered that and told us to call Verizon billing and have them change it.  We did that and now we are walking around happy residents of Second Life.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this.  you all rock.

TxDave

Well it seems that not only did Verizon have a problem McAfee had a problem as well.  A chat session with McAfee this morning resolved the issu i was having.  I would suggest that anyone experiencing the issue with staying connected that I was having check you firwall settings.  we simply reset my firewall to Default settings and now things in SL seem to be working fine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.