Strange Rendering? I see odd shapes others dont see!?

Cali Souther

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Beginning last night,  I am seeing odd shapes that others dont see...    (see example below)

Last night it was someone else that appeared to be wearing a ball on their head.  Today,  it's me (my boots maybe) ...

I tried logging out, and back in.  Clearing cache,  and rebaking ....

whatisthis1.dib

12 answers to this question

Are they mashed up sculpties?

Try going to debug (ctrl alt shift S) & paste in RenderVolumeLODFactor increase the number to 4 or more (depending on how good your puter is, mine is on 8)

If that doesn`t work and you are using an ATI graphics card, disable the VBO in Preferences>>Graphics>>Hardware options

• Like 1

Thank you all .. going to give your suggestions a try.

Message was edited by: Cali.Souther to add:   Seems to be working , thank you!!!

Message was edited by: Cali.Souther to add ... I spoke too soon.  :-X  ... but I'll keep tweakin the settings I guess.  It didnt do this before, so I dunno why my graphics card would suddenly have an issue.  I have ATI Radeon HD 5700 ...

Liriel Garnet wrote:

I use an ATI card and Phoenix as well. 

If I turn off cloud rendering so that I don't see the flashing stars,

I get artifacts like this on attached prims.  You might try checking if cloud rendering

is disabled in the advanced/rendering/types menu.  Also, Catalyst is the control software

for ATI graphics cards.  It's nothing to do with SL.

^^^ This worked instantly.  Hopefully,  it will work permanently.

just fyi - in case someone else has this issue. 

Peewee.Musytari wrote:

Did you recently update your Graphics card drivers?

If so that could explain how your problem is connected with the starry cloud issue. Checkout this thread: http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/596697#596697 from about halfway down when the recent posts start, not the stuff that is a year old

Hi Peewee,

Thanks for the link,  I will check it out.  The odd rendering returned last night,  for a few seconds, then cleared - thankfully,  but that tells me it's not completely fixed - so I will continue to try and debug the issue.  I didnt update my graphics card, but this is a new computer .... I don't know if that matters.

I didnt have this issue for the first few months,  so I don't know why it just started.  I thought the clouds thing was it .. but then it happened again.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to try it soon...  I have been so busy lately,  I don't get to stay inworld long enough to do much of anything.

I am not sure if this will show up but... I still have an issue with this.

It seems if I turn on cloud rendering, I get strange rendering under water.

If I turn off clouds, things under water are ok, but I have to turn it back on above water.

Above water I am ok with clouds on except the clouds themselves have star shaped designs in them and do not look like clouds.

Hi Cali, the things you are describing are caused by your graphics card drivers. Go to the website for the card manufacturer and try some different drivers - The latest may not be the best for your computer, you should be able to instal older ones. Mine needs the August 2010 drivers to work properly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.