Sign in to follow this  
Furbaby99

Viewer Launches but doesn't fully open

I just redownloaded Second Life and everything went smoothly.  I clicked on it to open it and it does the little loading box that says 'Intalysing VFP' or whatever it is and then that goes away and nothing happens.  It used to open when I had it downloaded but now it only does that and I cannot play the game.  Can someone please help?

A small percentage of people are hitting this problem. The majority have no problem. We don't know why. We do know the work-around.

See: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/11/11/second-life-main-viewer-failing/

The fix is to install another version of the SL Viewer from Linden Lab or a third party. The article explains how to do both.

I came into SL in 2008 and after the first year I started using multiple viewers. Some third party viewers have some awesome features for power users, like Firestorm. One has Oculus support: CtrlAltStudio. Others offer extended viewer programming: those supporting RLV; Firestorm, RLV, and others. Other viewers offer the old V1 user interface and yet are cutting edge tech: Cool VL.

Having a second viewer installed allows you to circumvent a problem like you found. It is also the best debugging tool we have. With two viewers I can quickly decide if the new install is a problem or if SL servers are the problem.