Why isn't Second Life loading after the new update?

Tabitha Kaestner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Second Life was working fine on my laptop but after the new update it just shows the icon at the bottom of the screen, and it disappears a few seconds after. I tried uninstalling everything including secret files and folders thinking it would work but nothing is happening. When I click on the icon more than once it says the system is already running but I know that's a lie.

It doesn't even give me a chance to see the log in window, just stuck at "initializing VFS" then it's gone. I also tried restarting my computer but again.....nothing. What is going on here?

8 answers to this question

A basic trouble shooting step is to install a different viewer. I suggest you get a Project Viewer. For now use the Snowstorm Viewer.

You can use one of the RC Viewers if you want. But, you must first change your setting in Preferences->Setup->Software Updates - enable Willing to update to release candidates. If you don't do this the viewer will load the default viewer over the RC version ASAP. Then install the RC version you want.

Another choice is to go with Alchemy or Firestorm. 

If one of those viewers works, then it is the new viewer that is the problem. 

The VFS is virtual File System. From time to time this is the cause of the viewer crash. Remote drive software that opens storage in the cloud can be a problem. Try disabling it. Google for how to do that with your remote drive.

As a last resort, try a clean install. Look it up in the SL Wiki or Knowledge Base.

See if you can use either of the beta viewers or the Snowstorm project viewer from this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

The release viewer has new code in it that changes the way graphics cards are detected but those beta viewers don't have it yet (as of this morning.) The new code may be causing problems with your setup.

Please add your comments to this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7776

A number of people are reporting this problem.  If a clean install has not helped, you should do two things:

1.  File a JIRA bug report.  Include as much detail as you can about your system and the error messages you are getting.

2.  Delete your installation and either re-install a previous version (you did save your prior downloads, right?  They should be in your Downloads folder) or install one of the many fine third party viewers.

The viewer should not insist you install the latest version if you select the "download and install updates manually" option in Preferences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.