Sign in to follow this  
Tabitha Kaestner

Why isn't Second Life loading after the new update?

Question

8 answers to this question

A basic trouble shooting step is to install a different viewer. I suggest you get a Project Viewer. For now use the Snowstorm Viewer.

You can use one of the RC Viewers if you want. But, you must first change your setting in Preferences->Setup->Software Updates - enable Willing to update to release candidates. If you don't do this the viewer will load the default viewer over the RC version ASAP. Then install the RC version you want.

Another choice is to go with Alchemy or Firestorm. 

If one of those viewers works, then it is the new viewer that is the problem. 

The VFS is virtual File System. From time to time this is the cause of the viewer crash. Remote drive software that opens storage in the cloud can be a problem. Try disabling it. Google for how to do that with your remote drive.

As a last resort, try a clean install. Look it up in the SL Wiki or Knowledge Base.

Same problem here... was working fine today until i decided to install the update.

now it just crashes on initializing VFS. while win crash logger runs in task manager.

tried clean install a few times. doesnt work..

See if you can use either of the beta viewers or the Snowstorm project viewer from this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

The release viewer has new code in it that changes the way graphics cards are detected but those beta viewers don't have it yet (as of this morning.) The new code may be causing problems with your setup.

Please add your comments to this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7776

A number of people are reporting this problem.  If a clean install has not helped, you should do two things:

1.  File a JIRA bug report.  Include as much detail as you can about your system and the error messages you are getting.

2.  Delete your installation and either re-install a previous version (you did save your prior downloads, right?  They should be in your Downloads folder) or install one of the many fine third party viewers.

The viewer should not insist you install the latest version if you select the "download and install updates manually" option in Preferences.

I'm having the same problem.   After the update I deleted everything and reloaded but couldn't open it.   So I loaded Firestorm, but I like to have SL Viewer as well.