Lagging like the devil

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I got a win7 laptop that I bought in May this year,my second life viewer is lagging like crazy.I can't do anything even a simple turn to the left takes about 20 clicks.I've tried everything I even used firestorm and secondlife viewer and both do the same.I have no music files on my laptop or pics to take up space.I've checked to see if my graphics card needed updated and it says that I am updated,I also lowered my graphics.I am at my wits end with this!

Most laptops that have integrated graphics don't perform well in SL.  You need a dedicated graphic card that meets the minimum System Requirements.  Still, post your system specs so we can take a look,.  You can do this by opening your viewer and not logging in .  Go to HELP and then ABOUT <name of your viewer> and copy and past what you find there into your post.

CPU: Genuine Intel® CPU T1400 @ 1.73GHz (1729 MHz) Memory: 2038 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Graphics Card: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0010.1930 OpenGL Version: 2.0.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about laptop graphics to be sure, but I suspect you’ll be told that yours just ain’t up to the task.

Anyway, and while this would mean your SL experience won’t be exactly luxurious, it’s what you have, and if you want to make the most of it, there are many things you can try beyond merely lowering the general graphics quality setting; until recently I had a much older & less powerful laptop than yours and, after painstakingly going through every single setting available, I was able to set it to a usable framerate... at insanely low quality settings, to be sure, but again, you gotta make do with what you have.

If you’re going to keep trying with Firestorm, here is a good page full of lag-related tips. Otherwise, there are other options: Linden Lab’s official viewer now includes a few improvements that considerably reduce loading time; it’s not necessarily the best viewer for slow computers, but it’s a start, and while it may not have the exact same Preferences settings as Firestorm, I’ve found that a good deal of those are nothing more than Debug Settings which can be accesible from pretty much any viewer. And then there’s Singularity, a viewer popular for its somewhat lower hardware requirements.

VanityLace wrote:

CPU: Genuine Intel® CPU T1400 @ 1.73GHz (1729 MHz) Memory: 2038 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Graphics Card: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0010.1930 OpenGL Version: 2.0.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930

You will struggle with this.

Insufficient memory to run anything but the viewer and only the viewer (nothing else background) at the same time.  You can figure on Windows 7 quite happily munching on around 700MB and the viewer will take about 1.7GB which means that at this point, the PC will be swapping memory to disk (you'll see the disk light on a lot and it will be very slow at this point).

Also, the graphics chipset is on the "really not very good for SL list", sorry to put it like that but that's just how it is.

You'd have to run with completely minimum graphics settings and there is a debug setting that is supposed to limit the maximum memory that the viewer will use.  Look for the debug setting MaxHeapSize and try setting it to maybe 1.0 or 0.75 (i've had varied success with this)

VanityLace wrote:

Sadly, that system is no where near powerful enough to run SL, even at its most basic level. The graphics card is laughable, it doesn't even rank on a comparison chart. You would  need much more memory as well. I wish there was a way to help aside from getting a different model.

• 2 weeks later...

with a low spec computer then you want to reduce down both the volume and pace of content as much as possible

in Preferences gfx settings: turn off as much as you can. Turning off all sounds helps as well. Mute group chat, etc etc

there are also things in Advanced and Develop menu that you can turn off. Kill particles, lights, trees, foot shadows, etc
Other things on those menus include stuff like setting Debug to None for example so it dont write to disk file

+

another one is to throttle the indicative speed of your internet connection so that stuff comes slower. Like reduce your bandwidth down to 200 or 300 for example. The idea being that the slower the connection the lesser the volume of content throughput. Reducing the work at any given time required of the processors, memory, etc

reducing the size of cache can do that as well. bc not much content is cached locally then it has to download and by slowing the internet connection then effectively applies brakes. Can be costly this tho if on a smallish capped broadband plan

Qie Niangao wrote:

A question for the assembled experts here: Would
 be useful here, until the OP can get a more capable machine?

I couldn't find any system requirements listed on their web site other than "A 3mbps plus connection on Wi-Fi or 4G/LTE is required for optimal performance.."

They are also now offering a free seven day trial.  I need to check the fine print but I'm really tempted to test drive now.  I think originally the free trial was only a couple of hours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.