Photographed :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was standing around, was trying on a demo I just got. I always use add to put on the new before I take off what I have on, I'm homeless and have no place to change so I look for an empty sim and change with the add and then remove.

I got an IM asking me if it was okay to photograph me saying they liked my avatar, and I said okay. Then I got an IM saying I was being photographed topless, I was NOT topless. I TP'ed away.

My question is, can you be photographed naked when you have clothing on?

TheVeryFirst wrote:

First it's important to clarify - mesh 'clothing' isn't clothing, it's an attachment. It looks like clothing because the mesh is shaped that way, but Second Life recognises them as objects - when worn, they become attached objects.

Attachments float 'above' the avatar, and do not disrupt the avatar skin underneath. This means that if someone disables rendering of Volume types (which includes mesh) - and is a debug option in all viewers - you'll be displayed as if the mesh wasn't being worn (potentially naked/topless).

System clothing on the other hand, bakes on top of your avatar skin - hiding it from view. Once a system clothing layer (shirt, jacket, pants, underpants, etc.) is baked onto your avatar skin, the skin elements underneath can no longer be viewed under any circumstances.

The solution to this in common terms is to use modesty layers. These are system clothes that hide the areas usually hidden by the mesh items in a solid block of colour (note that alpha layers are NOT a solution, since avatar alpha can be disabled also). In effect, any system clothing can be used as a modesty layer.

There's a few other tricks that can limit or remove items that people believe are covering themselves up, but it's by far the most common since the advent of uploadable mesh.

TheVeryFirst wrote:

I was standing around, was trying on a demo I just got. I always use add to put on the new before I take off what I have on, I'm homeless and have no place to change so I look for an empty sim and change with the add and then remove.

I got an IM asking me if it was okay to photograph me saying they liked my avatar, and I said okay. Then I got an IM saying I was being photographed topless, I was NOT topless. I TP'ed away.

This is one of the biggest problems with Mesh clothes.  Depending on a number of variables it can be slow to load on someones computer.  So instances of momentary inadvertant nakedness are not uncommon.

If it bothers you you could make it a point to always wear undergarments.

TheVeryFirst wrote:

Thank you for the fast replies, but not what I was hoping to hear.

And yes the top is mesh, a bustier that I don't have a bra that fits under it, but I will have soon! 99% of the time I wear undies but this top has made that difficult, time to go shopping I guess.

Again thanks for the replies.

I've seen flesh toned nipple hiders.  Removing nipples from the equation can make a big difference.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I've seen flesh toned nipple hiders.  Removing nipples from the equation can make a big difference.

:smileysurprised:

Nude boobs without nipples are a very shocking and disturbing sight!  :matte-motes-sick:  IMO.

Therefore I never wear those hiders.

:smileyvery-happy:  :smileywink:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

:smileysurprised:

Nude boobs without nipples are a
very
shocking and disturbing sight!  :matte-motes-sick:  IMO.

Therefore I never wear those hiders.

:smileyvery-happy:  :smileywink:

Oh, I totally agree.

I was only addressing the OP's dilemma.

And the world would be a very boring place with out nipples.

I probably should have never suggested it. 

The more popular black tape might have been a better way to go.  But that has got to be painful when you rip it off.

I used to model (in RL) lingerie (and other clothes) for catalog photographs. When being photographed in very sheer bras that would let the nipples show through, some photographers (actually it was the people creating the catalogs or web sites for the stores) would have models wear nipple concealers. (others would use photoshop or something). I never did like the concealers; but didn't have a choice.

Marybeth

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

It wasn't you being photographed. But a cartoon on their screen.

No real rational reason to worry about modesty. Clothing is only to look nicer, or so that people who don't want to see the skin don't have to.

I agree with you to a point, but if that is truly the case then there would be nudity on G rated sims. I have never done the nakie thing in SL and don't like the idea of being forced into it. And there may be “No real rational reason to worry about modesty”, but I do, and I have been called weird for it before, don't care, I'll keep my cloths on thank you. (I'm not trying to be nasty, its just how I feel.)

And I don't know why I feel like this, guess that is “just me”, others can take their clothes off all they like, I like my avatar dressed.

And also to your point “so that people who don't want to see the skin don't have to.”, you should add, “so that people who don't want to show skin don't have to”.

But I do appreciate your comments, everyone.

is ok for you to feel as you do about modesty

while some oldbies can get jaded about this after a time (bc of the limitations of the program) it dont mean that you should ever have to become jaded in the same way

+

on the actual incidence. The person did ask if they could photograph you. You were appearing topless on their screen. However this was not apparent to you when they asked. But can I think put it down to a misunderstanding on their part. Like they assumed you were topless on your screen as well

the important thing was they did ask when like some others they could have not asked and just snapped you. Just bc they can

+

going forward

get some pasties or body part hiders (tattoo blenders) for when doing this. Can find lots of them for free on marketplace

other thing is to keep your minimap open. Can see the green dots of other people on the sim. So can know who can see you

+

eta:

when sometimes i do have to get total nekkid when trying on new stuff then I find a sim on the world map empty of dots. Go there. If any green dot appears I immediate put on my default My Outfit and am woosh! gone

i dont ever want to get into any convo at all with anyone about what I am doing there at this moment. Not ever 

I agree with you, irihapeti. To me, my avatar is me. She looks like me and acts like me. I would not want to be seen nude in RL or in SL. It wouldn't bother me as much in SL as in RL, but would still bother me. I realize that it is much easier to see up my skirt in SL than in RL, so I always wear panties. I wear a bra in Second Life because of the possibility that something would happen to my top. I know that some people are different, but that is how I feel.

If you need a place to change, please feel free to come over to my shop. There's a TP up to the dressing rooms I have in a skybox complete with a pose stand where anyone can have complete privacy You can join the group to be able to rez out stuff there or you can use the rez area on the ground level and then go up. It's there and free for anyone to use.

irihapeti wrote:

while some oldbies can get jaded about this after a time (bc of the limitations of the program)...

Probably because at one time we sometimes had to get naked to TP anywhere or when you tp'd dressed you would arrive naked a lot of the time.  I remember days on SL where everyone was naked and worse yet when everyone was naked and Ruthed.  I remember when my partner back then had moobs he couldn't get rid of for a few weeks lol. 

If nudity was a deal breaker to you, you didn't last long in SL.in those days.  For the rest of us, we all just laughed because what else were you going to do?

Perrie Juran wrote:

The more popular black tape might have been a better way to go.  But that has got to be painful when you rip it off.

Having about a dozen rolls of this, I can belay your fears. :)

It's special low-residue, soft-contact adhesive, no pulling or twisting required! I tend to use insulation tape as an example that those with less socially-offensive nipples may be more familiar with. :D

This does not mean use insulation tape instead, since they leave muchmuch more residue and it's kinda yucky. But like... adhesive power is the same.

The more you know!

Phil Deakins wrote:

Marybeth Cooperstone wrote:

A good reason to wear underwear. I always wear pretty, usually lace, bras and panties - similar to what I wear in RL.

Pictures or it doesn't happen
:D

Phil, while waiting for the pictures from Marybeth (which you might not get), you can do Google images search for "lace, bra, panties".

:smileyvery-happy: :smileytongue:

irihapeti wrote:

here you go (:

irihapeti,

I made the bra and panties, but that is not me wearing it. It is an SL picture of a friend (or I should say: friends avi).

Phil,

What doesn't happen?

OK, here are some pictures from RL, real store bought lingerie with the real me. (click on a picture for a larger one) At one time did this for a living (part time while an undergraduate). A number of nears ago if you found lingerie or a dress or suit on a store web site or print catalog, it could be me. But none are being used now.

The pictures in front of a curtain and in the bedroom (fake) were taken by a professional photographer but not used commercially (I have the rights). The pictures in front of a door and white wall were taken by me (time delay on shutter).

Marybeth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.