Protected waterfront & fantasy prices.

AnnieK Watkins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its funny to see how many of the land sellers have their own illusion on what a protected waterfront is, i would assume that is when your land / sim meet Linden water or has no sim infront of it. But recently i noticed some announce that their sim / parcel has a protected waterfront when the view is into the next sim or in extreme cases a huge wall in other sim.

And to top all these misinformation they set a price that would be normal to pay for all of the above if their parcel really had it, no wonder so much land is being abandoned where land owners set fantasy prices just because some parcels get sold in a high price range.

When i buy and sell land on mainland i always calculate that some times its better to sell with a tiny loss than be forced to abandon, just because of people expect to much for their land. People should be more realistic and then they would have more luck selling their land, as of now its more like a lottery.

I really don't think some of them do it to sell their land, especially those that have way too many zeros in their price.  After all why would they believe any sane person is going to buy a 4096 for literally thousands of US dollars, or a region for tens of thousands of US dollars, no matter what it's location. If you were going to spend that much why not buy a few private sims with water sims around it?

While some ignorant people may price their land like that because they see others doing, I think others do it to draw attention to it and to get their land in an additional search without paying extra for it, because I have found that if you go there a lot of times the land is really just for rent or has a business on it.  If they do sell at the asking price they can laugh all the way to the bank.

I do agree though that a lot of mainland for sale by serious sellers is way overpriced.

• 4 weeks later...

Even unprotected water land is going for outrageous prices. There is unprotected water land near mine and it is 3072 m being sold for 69000 lindens. In contrast my unprotected water parcel which is 1536 m I paid 2500 lindens for total.

The sim of Exomorogun which is on protected water is being sold for over 2000 US dollars. If I had that much money to spend I'd probably buy an island.

I've often wondered if they put the zeroes on hoping that someone's brain will automatically remove one, and read the number more in keeping with what would be expected. For instance, 75000 could be misread as 7500, when 7500 would be a reasonabe price. If any sellers do it for that reason, perhaps it succeeds sometimes, causing the sellers to continue with the method.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I've often wondered if they put the zeroes on hoping that someone's brain will automatically remove one, and read the number more in keeping with what would be expected. For instance, 75000 could be misread as 7500, when 7500 would be a reasonabe price. If any sellers do it for that reason, perhaps it succeeds sometimes, causing the sellers to continue with the method.

Well they'd be playing a pretty slim odds games.  I'd gander, though I have no evidence, that it would be a very small percentage of accounts that keep  $75,000L on hand.  So the moment you went to buy you'd be told you need to but more $L's.

I've wondered about these also and wonder if the owners use the high price as a bargaining chip. Contact them and they'll negotiate for the highest price they can get out of you.  But that is just a guess.

Having an island or series of private sims is really no comparison to a mainland plot with water access for exploring 100s of sims. A few hundred dollars for that is months tier. Still expensive but it is indetrstandable why people will pay so much for protected wsterfront. Better in the short term to rent. There are some good parcels for rent around the blake at the moment but that is not always the case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.