Raising Bandwidth limit past 3000.

LidoraJaka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is this possible? I am using Firestorm and I can't raise my Bandwidth limit past 3000. I have a much faster internet connection, but I can't use it because of the limit in game. Anyone able to help?

Thanks for taking the time to look at, and read my thread!!  Hope you can help :3

LidoraJaka wrote:

Is this possible? I am using Firestorm and I can't raise my Bandwidth limit past 3000. I have a much faster internet connection, but I can't use it because of the limit in game. Anyone able to help?

Thanks for taking the time to look at, and read my thread!!  Hope you can help :3

The "bandwidth" number only represents a portion of the communications between your viewer and the servers - many other different connections happen and their speed is set automatically. Describe the "lag" you're seeing...

There is a lot of old and incorrect information in this thread.

The recent project to push CDN and pipelining seems to have removed bandwidth caps. If your net will take it, do it.

Yes, this is a limit on only part of the communications, put it too high and you can't TP, or are locked solid after a TP.

Many TPVs now allow up to 10K.

I run mine (Singularity) on 7,222 without problems, too much higher and my 1.6MB/s ADSL will become saturated and I get those pre/post TP issues.

Basically, grab a viewer that will let you try a higher number and then jmp to 5K, 7K, 9K.... see where your teleports clag up and then pull it back 1K from that point.

This stuff about 1.5 maximum is old, obsolete advice now. Ignore it. The CDN has changed the world.

--||-

Callum Meriman wrote:

This stuff about 1.5 maximum is old, obsolete advice now. Ignore it. The CDN has changed the world.

weelll !!! Monty Linden who gave this advice that I linked to knows more about the HTTP pipeline than anyone. Like he built it.

i will stick with giving 1.5M as the advice myself until he says is ok to go higher

has only just been over a week now since CDN. Probably be another month or two before can start advicing people on here to go for it

sure people can go for it. but advice them to?? nah! not me

irihapeti wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

weelll !!! Monty Linden who gave this advice that I linked to knows more about the HTTP pipeline than anyone. Like he built it.

i will stick with giving 1.5M as the advice myself until he says is ok to go higher

has only just been over a week now since CDN. Probably be another month or two before can start advicing people on here to go for it

sure people can go for it. but advice them to?? nah! not me

I tried searching for the JIRA Monty mentioned but my JIRA search skills suck.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Probably one of these:

- Unexpected behavior with UDP throttling when bandwidth is set higher than 1900

- (Monty thoughts?) Lower max selectable bandwith to be in line with the max of the server

Thanks.

I guess it can get very difficult for us to discuss all this.  As Mr Acacia points out in VWR-28638,

"While some aren't affected by setting their bandwidth extremely high, neither do they benefit. SL will not discuss their internal or public-facing networks so we will never know what the capabilities and limitations are. However, since no one has indicate they have seen download speeds anywhere above 3mbps, there seems to be no reason to have a bandwidth setting higher than 3000."

We only really know what Linden Lab tells us.**  And if Monty says, "Keeping it at or below 1.5Mbps is probably most reliable right now," I'm not going to stray far from his advise if I stray at all.

**That is not to say that we don't know the problems people encounter when they exceed the recommended settings.

• 1 month later...

Let me post an update. 

I switched to Singularity Viewer for a while, and it had the option to raise the limit to 10,000. 

It was a VERY noticeable improvement. 

Why can't I do this on firestorm? I love firestorm, but singularity's 10,000 option was much better, as well as the viewer being more lightweight. (I'm fine with the firestorm being a (For lack of a better word) heavier viewer, but this simple limit seems to be very restricting.

You can if you really must - but setting above 3k gives no benefit whatsoever. Its placebo.

Advanced -> Debug Settings -> ThrottleBandwidthKBPS -> set to your chosen value.

Check your log files when you have max bandwidth set over 3k. You will see lines like this: "INFO: LLViewerThrottleGroup::sendToSim: Sending throttle settings, total BW 3000.000000"

It is clamped at 3k serverside. It will not go any higher.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.