Low FPS...

Zuriel Bedlam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently had a problem with textures loading and was told to check a texture menu option in the Develope menu.  Since then my Viewer from V2 to Phoenix has run at a constant 3-4 fps and barely rising.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem hasn't gone away.  It's not my internet connection that I can tell and its not related to my graphics card which by the card list for FPS should be running in the 15-25 FPS range easily.  What am I doing wrong to fix this problem?  My graphics are set to low, my bandwith is not the problem can ANYONE please give me some insight?  I'm even running a bare bones Operating system with SecondLife and WoW being my only big things on my computer and WoW while not as graphically intense as SL is running a high 50's 60 FPS constantly.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

This can happen when the draw distance is too high, or when a large number of objects suddenly come into view when the pipeline is already using most of the memory. It is most likely the cause of the sudden drop in FPS as the viewer would be desperately trying to free up resources since you'd be spilling over into system ram. This theory is supported by the fact that frame rates actually improved when the texture memory slider was lowered to 64MB because when you go over the limit it would still be in vram.

Since Zuriel is already running the graphics at low with the draw distance at 64m on a card that a few years ago could run on mid with windlight enabled I'd say it's time to upgrade. 128MB of vram is just not enough for sl these days when many sims are pushing 350MB+ worth of textures and avatars are hitting 20MB each.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Nyll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.