Cannot View Movies in SL on a Mac

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've recently purchased a televisionin Sl with the hopes of watching movies and such, and cuddling in my living room. Sadly, I can hear the video playing, but the screen remains black. No video at all. I've reviewed all my settings an consulted with some knowledgeable friends in SL, but I can't seen to fix this issue. I would appreciate any help or guidance. :)

Thanks,

Jeremy Krave

Jeremy, when was the last time you were able to watch movies in sl on this mac?

There was or is a known issue with macs not playing nice with Adobe Flash after Adobe's version 11.7.700.x   (I think they're up to 15.x now.)

This has been going on for quite some time though, and it effectively disabled Parcel Media for mac users.  Symptoms were exactly as you describe .... the screen goes black, and you hear the audio fine.

Firestorm team has this well documented on their wiki (possibly in FAQ also).   As I recall, fingers were pointed at Adobe for not considering Macs .... but then Adobe said it was Apple who made the decision to stay in a state of "techie obsolescence" while the rest of the world moved on.    Bottom line, neither side did anything about it as far as I know.

Solution was to uninstall Adobe Flash, and then go into Adobe's archives and load version 11.7.700 or lower.   Please note, that if you do this, Safari will not play youtube videos or any others.   Firestorm and Chrome (so far) don't seem to mind so much.    Obviously, rolling back to 11.7.700 could be a security concern, but that's for you to decide.

I can personally verify that Adobe Flash version 11.7.700.260 works for me in sl on my late 2011 MacBook Pro 17.

EDIT:  Typonese correction.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.