can i use my tardis as my home

wolfiedog

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sure as long as:

• you put it on land you own or rent on the mainland or on a private estate or the owner or renter of the parcel allows you to rez it there*
  • the entire build is withing your property lines
  • it doesn't go over the land impact (aka prim) allotment you have on your parcel.
  • The covenant for the estate where your parcel is and/or your lease allows that kind of build

*There are sandboxes both private and public where you can rez it to work on it or look at it, but you can't live in it in a sandbox.

wolfiedog wrote:

what is the chepest price of land i can buy

Nobody can tell you that, because on private estates its in the hand of the estate owner how high or low he wants to set prices. Of course the smaller and unattractive a parcel is, the lower the price.

And don't forget, whereever you own land (mainland or private) you will pay a weekly or monthly rent.

wolfiedog wrote:

When logged into SL, open the map. Check the Land Sale option (top right) and look at any yellow pieces of land on the map. On each yellow piece, there is a $ icon. Left click one to see how much is being asked for the land. Keep doing that to get a general idea of how much people are asking for their land.

The prices vary enormously but, if you keep looking, you should be able to find some pieces at L$1 per square meter. The smallest piece you are likely to find for sale is 512 sqm, so if you look far and wide, you should be able to find land at L$1 per sqare meter, or less.

LL runs a mainland land auction in which they set the starting price at L$½ per sqm.

Important point: You cannot buy mainland unless you are a premium member. If you are not a premium member, you can only acquire land on private estates. I use the word 'acquire' because you can never actually own it. Regardless of going through the process of buying a piece of a private estate, you end up renting it from another user who can take it back at any time, though that's not common. It's the same as mainland but, with mainland, you are 'renting' it from LL who never take it back as long as you keep on paying the tier (rent) each month.

wolfiedog wrote:

Before you can find the answer to this question, you need to determine how large a piece of land you need.  You do that by measuring the footprint of what ever build you will be using, and then seeing how many prims you need.

Take into account the number of prims needed for the actual tardis, any additional furnishings you will use,  landscaping such as trees etc., and finally how many prims you need to rez things temporarily such as boxes for unpacking, toys, vehicles etc.  You get about 4.37 prims per square meter of land.

Keep in mind that whatever size your footprint is, you want some land around it too as a setback from your property line.

Choose land by taking into account the square meters you need for the build's footprint plus setback.  If you need more prims than are supported by the square meters you need, then you will want to increase the size of your land to gain the extra prims.

The initial cost of your land will vary.  Many private estates will allow you to acquire land by just paying the first weeks tier amount.  While on the mainland you pay a downpayment for the land that could be anywhere from just a few hundred linden to thousands.  Price is determined there by how much in demand the parcel is.  For the least expensive stay away from waterfront or roadfront or parcels next to Linden owned scenic land.  You also must be a premium member to buy land on the mainland, but not tp rent land on the mainland or to buy or rent land on private estates.

After your initial cost you will need to pay tier on a regular basis either by the week or month.  Tier is your share of the cost of running the server the land is on, in proportion to the percentage or fraction of the sim you own.

If you are a premium member and buy mainland, there is no charge for the first 512sqm.  So if all you need is 512 sqm and 117 prims you only have to pay the intial payment and not monthly payments.  If you buy a 1024sqm lot then you only pay tier on 512sqm.

Before buying any land at a minimum you should read this http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043. There are also classes you can take that explain all this in detail.  Lindal Kidd teaches an excellent free class, Fridays at 5pm SLT at Caledon Oxbridge University. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.