About to change Covenant

Aglaupe Greggan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there... now that I know you are not an EXPERT TEAM, but just others SL residents trying to help people like me, I think will be more nice to talk and clarify my doubts... if you have patience with my bad english, of course.

Now my problem is that I rented a land and paid the tier for ONE WEEK. Then, I fixed my house and favorite fornitures in my new home. All things was going really good and all my scripted objects - like an honeydewbaby that cust L$ 6000 - was working very well. Then, after to be sure that all was good at my new land, I just went to my rental box and paid for more FOUR WEEKS.

Now I have two problems:

1. When I rented the land and paid ONE WEEK of tier, the Covenant of the land just said "THERE IS NO COVENANT" and all my scripted objects was working.

2. As soon I paid more FOUR WEEKS of tier, the Covenant of my land just changed, and now appears a text saying that scripts are not allowed at that homestate. It means that all my scripted objects, that was working so well few hours before I paid for more FOUR WEEKS at this land, just stoped to work.

My questions for you is:

1. Is my sim owner acting right when he change the Covenant after I paid a month of tier?

2. Is correct dont allow to run scripts in a rented land?

3. The land owner (me... :)) dont have any right about to run scripts in his own land?

Tks guys

10 answers to this question

Aglaupe Greggan wrote:

1. Is my sim owner acting right when he change the Covenant after I paid a month of tier?

2. Is correct dont allow to run scripts in a rented land?

3. The land owner (me... :)) dont have any right about to run scripts in his own land?

Tks guys

1. the sim owner on a private estate can change the covenant at any time and they don't have to warn you

2. if the estate owner really wants to disable scripts to everyone they can but they should really allow their renters and anyone else in the group for their estate to run scripts

3. getting land from an estate you don't really own the land the estate owner can put restrictions like no pushing or no terraforming that you can't change in the about land section

little tip i know works on the mainland and should on a private estate or sim fly up to about 140m your scripts will magically start working

• Like 1

Hi, maybe i can shine some light on this.

I have been in the land business in SL for many years. According to Linden Lab's Terms of Services the estate owner is allowed to do this, however i would mark it as deceiving to my hounest opinion. No covenent was a part of your decision. Personally it is simple to see hat this estate owner has his own norms and values, but it doesn't show to much trust worthy op my opinion. I would leave as soon as possible. Estate owners can do wathever they want, even ban you after payment. There are many trusted estate owners, but also many fraudulent unfortunate.

On mainland you really own land and you can control everything yourself.

I hope this helps.

To me, it actually sounds like the estate owner decided to suddenly introduce some rules to give him a seemingly legit reason to boot you from the place prematurely, so he can rent it out to some other poor sod again, rinse and repeat. The covenant bit is just a facade in case of complaints. Most of the people doing this kind of stuff don't even bother with it, but apparently you encountered one of the few who does..

Aglaupe Greggan wrote:

Now my problem is that I rented a land and paid the tier for ONE WEEK.

This is where part of the misunderstanding lies. You are renting, not an owner (despite having "bought" the land, as well as paying tier). There really aren't any owners on private estates except for the estate owner (the sim owner). All sorts of permissions can be set for you, but - ultimately - you aren't the owner of the land.

I would guess the change is coincidence - I don't think you can script something like that to change. But, yes, he can change the covenant any time. And, if you depart early due to the change in circumstances, and he doesn't refund your remaining tier, LL probably won't do anything about it. >:(

Yes, it is allowable for a sim owner to set "No Scripts". It is, however, pretty stupid - especially if it's residential land. You might ask the sim owner what's going on - they might have a misunderstanding on what they are changing and its impact. I had a landlord once that was going to somehow limit scripts on the entire island - he kept IMing me to ask me to turn off some scripts when I was gone. (I don't rent there any more; I also learned just how many frikkin' scripts were running in some of my stuff.)

Added:

Last night, I had an odd bug occur: When I checked the covenant tab on our club land, it came up "No covenant". It *also* showed the date last modified as 31 December 1969 - a default "0" date in some OS's. So, something hiccuped and it showed no data. A minute later, when I checked again, the covenant was back, with a 3 December 2010 date. So, it could be you encountered this bug.

Edited to add more info

Something else I thought of:

If the estate owner set the script permissions to Group Only, then it might not be as bad as you think. Simply go change your objects from whatever group they currently show to the renter's group. And, when you set out more objects, be wearing the group tag.

I have seen this in a club, but it seems odd for residential land. Basically, if you're not wearing the group tag (though, you really should only have to be in the group to run scripts on your person), your scripts won't run. I have my club set to build if you are in the one group - so the performers can rez their tip jars and such, but not just anyone can come by and turn it into a sandbox. I wouldn't do it with scripts, though - cause too much hate and discontent.

yes... I think you are totaly right Marcush... mainly because few hours after I send my question for this blog the owner of the state where the rented my land appeared (finally!) and solved my problem with scripts. But I'll follow the orientations received here and I'll be more careful.

Tks a lot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.