Voice Chat trouble with SLv2

Kirk Dartmouth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently started using SLv2 and have run into a bit of a problem. I cannot get voice to register. My Voice Chat works fine with 1.2x, as well as the Emerald Clones. I have verified that all the listed exe files are running as listed in the Voice FAQ and Technical documentation, tried toggling "Enabled" in the "Sound & Media" tab of the preferences, clearing cache, restarting the viewer and my computer, all to no effect. What am I missing?

Second Life 2.4.0 (0) Oct 31 2010 17:12:50 (RestrainedLove viewer v2.02.01.00 (2.4.0.13177))
Release Notes

<snip>
Second Life RC BlueSteel 10.11.12.214623
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz (2527.05 MHz)
Memory: 6144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0011.8631
OpenGL Version: 3.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.3.0, Runtime: 1.3.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.6 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox

Built with MSVC version 1400
Packets Lost: 3/114,831 (0.0%)

6 answers to this question

okay... first off, I am a blonde, so if i suggest something stupid you tried already, I do because i did that mistake before lol... and I think they are actually not listed in the FAQ

is the microphone working in other applications? you can either try the system tools for trying that, or maybe the test call thing in skype. and yes. I happened to have my microphone turned off and wondered why it didn't work lol

did you select the right device in the input/output devices? while on some system the default system setting works, it is usually safer to select the actual device.

have you made sure the SLVoice Appliction is allowed by your firewall? for me it often gets flagged just as application or as executable, without a "proper" name. and I blocked it.

if you actually see the device settings move very slightly but can't hear a thing, try checkign if the microphone boost is enabled in the driver settings. and while you are there you maybe want to check if stereomix is disabled for the recording section. avoids interference and feedback

and the one thing I almost don't dare to ask, but I have messed it up my self... have you tried to use it in different regions / parcels? might be the one you were in had voice disabled.

feel free to yell at me now

Thank-you, Nya, for your response. I won't yell at you

/me points at the line where he mentions it works fine using Emerald Clones (i.e. Phoenix, Emergence, Emerald).

I also tried in different parcels/regions around the grid. I looked at the device settings, and they are set the same in SLv2 as they are in Phoenix.

So, not hardware, not network, not parcel/region. It is specific to SLv2.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.