A undershirt won't disappear even though I'd clicked unwear and deleted the file. What do I do?

Hakuran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I originally put on a undershirt type garment but upon trying to remove it I found that I could not. By restarting the SL application I was able to "get it off" and delete the file but the garment remained on my character. I have not found any way to remove it so far. Help please?

7 answers to this question

Try changing to a different skin.  Many of the starter skins on the "classic" avatars in your inventory are "modesty" skins, designed to keep young residents from being shocked by the sight of their naked bodies.  The underwear on those skins is painted on.  It cannot be removed, so you need to find a "non-modesty" skin in your inventory (or elsewhere) to wear instead.

• Like 3

I am Victoria Rhode, I have to buy shoulder length hair and when I buy your hair here Forever & Always the body is phantom, and my boobs go through my hair, my boobs are not that big and when my avatar breathes you can see my black top bleed through the hair, not to mention I have to buy now Just Breathe, because you made the Forever & Always to short in the back, so I have to wear two pieces then my avatars boobs still bleed through the front of the hair!!! they make the body phantom so there is no collision? so in Resident Evil 0 when I have both of my avatars together, they do not go through each other, why is second life scared of solid body's, scared of damage, scared of life bar, when is hair not going to go through the body anymore, when is this going to be fixed, it's like they want us not to have damage, why not, that's why you have a life bar, and need power ups, that gains respect for your avatar, like food and medi-packs, this is ridicules why we can't fight without damage, and a phantom body, were phantom that's why hair goes through the body, I am sick of this, also why do I have to make and build stuff, I just wanted to play the game, like in R.E or The Last of Us, I did not want to make my own stuff, in Resident Evil you fight a Tyrant, your solid so is he, you receive damage and need power ups like food, see now because your avatar has to eat to bring up life bar, now you have more respect for your avatar and others, NO PHANTOM BODY'S, My boobs going though my hair like black specs peeking through it's ridicules, when is this going to be run right? like final fantasy the movie and Resident Evil?

This is Victoria Rhode again, it is also because the prims are transparent to and also phantom, this is because they are not making prims intertwined like DNA strands and making them smaller so they can be flex but also be solid this will make the body not show through the hair like in real life why dose a woman with long hair her body dose not show though her hair? because it is a solid, her hair, on a smaller level and so is her body on a micro level, we are solid and we are not, smaller intertwined flexi solids

This is Second Life, not a game that you may have played somewhere else. Don't expect SL to work the same way that those games do. Because all details of your SL environment are updated and streamed to your viewer 45 times a second, Second Life needs to be optimized to reduce collisions as much as possible. All attachments in SL are phantom so that they do not cause collisions with the avatar body. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to wear much of the clothing in SL, and the extra collisions would increase server load and cause a lot of unnecessary lag. Yes, it does mean that hair will also pass through your body. That's just the way SL works. You'll have to find hair styles that work well with your own avatar.

As far as building is concerned, that is one of the important features of Second Life. Unlike on-line games you may have played, where you are given a static prefab world to play in, all of Second Life is created and continuously updated by its residents. That's what attracts a lot of people here, the ability to create our own world. If that's not something that you enjoy, you don't need to do it. You can always buy items that other residents have enjoyed creating, or you can hire them to create things for you.

Victoria, this is the Answers forum, not a forum for general discussions or complaints. But to address your issue in part, Second Life does not have a complex cloth or hair simulation engine, because the performance penalty would be huge.  Second Life is not a game, and cannot be optimized for performance the way a game can.  It's not a question of wanting to avoid damage.  If the skirt on my Victorian gown wasn't phantom, my partner couldn't get close enough to dance with me!  So either learn to live with hair poking into your boobs, or buy Mesh hair (it's stiffer and won't have this problem.)

If you want damage and combat scores and that other game-like stuff, try a combat region in SL.  Or WoW.

Hakuran:  If the undershirt is not shown as worn, but is still visible, it could be that you're seeing the "painted on" underwear of a modesty skin, as Rolig suggests.  Try changing skins to see if this is the case. 

If that is not the problem, it's most likely a poor internet connection.  See this link for many things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Yes. But all that has to be simulated in the digital world, with something called "cloth dynamics" and "collision detection." That takes a lot of computing power, and the Second Life servers, and most users' computers, are not up to doing it in real time. Sorry about that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.