Sharing between alts

Starchild Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have two avatars that I use to gather information for a website. Each one collects landmarks and notecards. What I'd really like to do is have an object where all of the landmarks and notecards can be kept where both of them can access everything. This way, I don't have two of everything clogging up their inventories.

I've tried using a single prim to keep everything in. While both of them can put things IN the prim (each has Edit permissions for the other's objects), they can't access the items that the other put in: ie Valentino can't read notecards that Starchild put in the prim, nor can he copy them to inventory.

Is it even possible to have a rezzed item that two avatars can pick and choose items out of? Guess the other way to do it is to copy notecard contents and slurls onto my hard drive, but that's kind of a pain if I have a whole bunch of landmarks. Much easier to be able to just dump them into something in-world.

14 answers to this question

I am the original dolls head because I tend to forget to even take landmarks of places. I do take a lot of photos though, of everywhere I go, which takes about the same amount of time as making a landmark, but I have a pictorial record of it then stored in my email archive folder, along with a SLurL. There doesn't seem to be any quick and tidy way of saving landmarks that I've found, but this one kind of works for me and my alts, although its really sad when I get around to revisiting some of these places and find them no longer in existence.

all your alts need is to be able to edit one another's, or your, object to be able to copy the inventory in there. at least if it is things like landmarks and notecards that usually are full perm by default.

simply set that ability in the pricvacy tab on the profile of the alts from yoru friendlist.

• Like 1

Thanks, both alts can edit each other's items, as set on their friends lists. And the LMs and NCs are full-perm.

But if Starchild created the prim, then Valentino can see what's in it, but he can only read the NCs that he put in...not the ones Starchild put in. Same with LMs, each can only use the ones they put in.

Maybe this would be better asked in the scripting area...any scripters prowling this section of SL Answers?

Figured it out. Starchild can use  the items that Valentino put in her prim. So if I have one for Valentino  and one for Starchild, they can each drop things in each other's prim,  and everyone has usable copies of everything without cramming their  inventories full of notecards and landmarks.

/me does a happy dance!

Thanks for the responses!

you all have to be able to edit each others items. and once you drop a notecard created by avatar A into a prim owned by avatar B the notecard belongs to avatar B. and if they are full perm and if you all can edit each other's items, you all should be able to copy the notecards from content with drag and drop to inventory.

alternative: create a group for your alts, and use a prim that is deeded to group and shared with group. then basically all goup members who are allowed roll wise to edit group owned objects can treat it as if it were their own.

I have an entire library of notecard givers that anyone can use.  Basically, just one prim with a script I bought somewhere (a menu driven notecard giver, cost like 500L, no transfer)   Can even set the security so only people I choose are able to access.  Holds essentially infinite notecards.  Landmarks?  Stick them on a notecard and problem solved.  Can even group the landmarks onto different notecards for nice organization, although I do believe it will give an LM instead of a notecard.

Nya Raymaker wrote:

alternative: create a group for your alts, and use a prim that is deeded to group and shared with group. then basically all goup members who are allowed roll wise to edit group owned objects can treat it as if it were their own.

Why on earth didn't I think of that? lol They're both owners of the website group.

It does make the notecards no-copy, so both avatars can take any notecard out but a copy does not stay in the prim. But once it's taken out, a copy of it can always be put back. With landmarks, they can both take the LM out, and a copy of it stays in the prim.

Perfect solution, thank you so much!

I have a group for my alts too. I have a lot of alts though. So rather than saving things in a prim, what i do to share things is to use the group notices feature.  I just pop the landmark or notecard into a notice once and they all get it.  Works for pictures too.  I just wish we could share purchases. I should buy more trans items.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.