Verify identity vs. create new alt

Starchild Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an alt, Skye, that I can't log in unless I prove her identity. Apparently she was ARed for being underage on the main grid. I'm not underage - my other avatars are age-verified, and most have payment information on file. I just hadn't verified Skye yet. It's a new av, so I won't lose much if I lose her, just some old clothes. I'd rather create a new alt than go through the trouble of verifying Skye, but I don't want to set myself up for an IP ban. What are the chances that LL will IP ban me if I create a new alt, especially if I age-verify it right away?

4 answers to this question

that's a pretty "loaded" question lol... no one can give you advise on your chances on of getting banned if it involves sort of bending TOS and other rules.

here is resources you can check though to make up your mind:

official TOS, especially recommending section 3.1 which has info on creating multiple accounts, http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

relevant quote for your case from the TOS is probably: "You may establish one or more additional Accounts, provided that your  existing Account is in good standing and you are otherwise in full  compliance with this Agreement."

and the Official Alt Account FAQ in the knowledge base. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_Account_FAQ

a quote from that one: "Your first Basic account is free, and we won't charge you for a few  alternate accounts. If we find that you've been creating an army of  alts, we may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each  additional Basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost of  maintaining the accounts for you."

so basically it runs down to you makign up your mind whether a) your account(s) are in good standing and compliant enough and b) how many alts you have up and running I guess.

• Like 1

Skye's avatar age was 16, but in RL I'm almost old enough to be her mom. My other accounts are fine. I age-verified them almost as soon as I created them, and they've never been questioned by LL. Guess it's a lesson to age-verify right away, especially during the merger between the teen grid and the main grid.

Thanks for the links, it's all good information.

If Linden Lab believes the person using an account may likely be underage then it doesn't matter if that account or their alts were previously verified or not. Teens can lie and use false ID, but are usually stupid enough to admit to someone they are underage and get caught that way. So being verified doesn't protect you from being held if something else has given them cause to believe your age is anything other than what you claimed it to be.  If they've held the account then they obviously have that already and are probably waiting to see what you do about it.

Making a new account would probably just raise more red flags, since if someone really were underage that is exactly what they would do rather than try to contact Linden Lab to offer an explanation and get the account released. Raise enough of those flags and they are likely to just hold all your alt accounts AND block your access until they are comfortable you are who you say you are in your registration info. Skirting the issue by making new accounts just makes you look more guilty and will make convincing them more difficult.

I would not make a new account. I'd be thankful they haven't blocked all your existing accounts already and make a ticket to clear up whatever confusion caused them to hold "Skye" in the first place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.