image textures

dawnalphonse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I have the image textures which i want to apply to each faces of the mesh model . 

The steps I do is as below

1Create a mesh model having 24 faces.

2. Add textures  , assign materials for each faces 

3.Apply UV map for each material.

4.I uploaded mesh model to secondlife

5.Uploaded images too separately

6.Then I try to drag the image textures to each faces , But it is not possible to apply texture for each face and the mesh is always selected altogether by default.

How can i fix this issue . Where am i did the mistake . I am too confused with this :(

3 answers to this question

Mesh in Second Life can only have 8 material faces.  You can have more than 8 material faces if you make the mesh a link set.

So for your mesh if you split it into 3 mesh with 8 material faces each it will work.  To export it as a link set just select the 3 meshes when you go to export them.

Then when they are uploaded to select the material face you want to add a texture to right click and edit and click select face.  Then click on the material face on the mesh ether drag the texture on to it or select the texture in the texture tab in edit mode.

• Like 2

First, as I explained in your earlier thread, you can only have 8 materials in a mesh model for SL, even though your modeling software (Blender?) will allow you to define many more.  You assign those materials to collections of faces in your 3D model while you are in Blender and then each collection ends up comprising a "face" in the uploaded model. 

Second, although it's possible to use a different UV map for each material, that's (a) a lot of extra work and (b) likely to open up all sorts of opportunities for errors.  It is easier and generally smarter to create only one UV map, unless your model is so large and complex that you need to use extra UV maps to get good texture resolution.

If you find that your textures are all being applied to the whole model instead of individual faces, I suspect that you haven't assigned materials properly in Blender.  Take a look at http://blog.machinimatrix.org/from-uv-map-to-multiple-textures/

• Like 2

Hi

there are Blender classes in secondlife.

and a Blender group, Im a member, you find a Gimp group to.

use the SL search to find them, ( control and F ) top of the search window change the tab to groups if you are looking for a Blender group or places if if are looking for blender support classes.

best to ask in a group for classes.

there are tutorials at Blender.org, and there a book to buy to support you if you got the cash.

hope that of help.

you will get lots of support from others that use Blender.

enjoy blendering

good luck

byee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.