Can someone teach me to script so I can script for RLV?

VonReal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

You can find some free scripting classes at Builders Brewery, NCI, and other places like that in world.  Most people seem to start by working through tutorials, however, and then just practicing.  The servers will tell you when you didn't get it right. One simple way to get started is to begin with a basic script that already works and then start modifying it a little bit at a time to make it do new things.  When it breaks, back up and try to understand why, or ask questions in a scripting forum.  You'll find loads of full perm scripts to play with, but the examples that you'll find in the LSL Scripting wiki and the many scripts in the LSL Scripting Library here in the forums are most likely to be well-written, heavily commented, and error-free. 

As you begin scripting, it's good to undcerstand that scripting is 90% an exercise in practical logic.  There's a tendency, epecially when you are new, to focus most of your attention on the other 10%, which is language and syntax.  The sooner you can get past that, the more successful you will be. 

When you write a script, always have a clear idea of what you are hoping to accomplish and what logical steps will get you there.  Get out a big piece of paper and draw a map, like a maze, to outline each decision the script will need to make along the way to your goal.  Consider what happens every time the script will have a choice of direction.  Anticipate the many ways that the user might screw up and do something that would leave your path --- how will you guide him back?  If you can do that, the rest  (the 10%) is just mechanics.

• Like 5

Just to add to Rolig's excellent advice, there's no great mystery to scripting for RLV, but you do need a bit of experience with LSL in general before working with RLV commands.    They aren't part of official LSL, but you do need a working knowledge of LSL, particularly communications and list handling, before they make much sense.

RLV commands are very simple, once you start working with them.    The real trick, though, is, as Rolig says for scripting in general, understanding the logic of what you want to make happen, and then being able to put the simple commands together in the right order to make things happen the way you intend.

• Like 2

Jeffery - Edit and fix your post! - You gave the incorrect URL so your post is useless. I posted the correct URL for you to use here so as to not embarrass you! But you still need to fix the URL! I could have posted this up as a full reply but I wanted you to retain the credit for the post idea. Stop being a victim and start acting like a an SL Answers staffer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.