Jump to content
Charli Infinity

Do you ever get bored of SL

Recommended Posts


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I'd like to think I'm not a boring person.  However, when I'm really,
really
bored, SL is the absolute
last
place I'd think of to get un-bored.

Masochism is a different story, though.

Re-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ally... Well now.. that... sounds like fun.

/me makes a mental note to hang out with Janelle more, remembering a tunnel excursion that ended up with him in a RLV trap..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Randall Ahren wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Charli Infinity wrote:

Do you ever feel like you're wasting your life on SL?

I've been feeling that way recently. Years gone by since I started my SL.

If you've enjoyed the "years gone by", even though it hasn't had anything productive apart from your enjoyment, then you haven't wasted you time because you've enjoyed it.

If you are now bored with it, come up with another hobby to enjoy.

So if I take all my money and waste it on a weekend of hookers, blow, and champagne, it's not a waste if I enjoyed the weekend? 

Mind if i join you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

Wow really you guys are here for years and not bored?

A lot of the stuff just look like the same thing repeating it self. Same themes, same look just remade in sculpt then now remade in mesh. I've seen SL through the years. It does get boring there nothing really new about it and what's worse now is that there's so little people in SL compared to years ago. Lots of these places don't even have people in it.

  1. Take a look at RL. Some things get recycled over and over. I saw a girl this morning wearing bell-bottoms. Styles will repeat, just in better materials.
  2. It's boring for you. It may not be for others.
  3. Stop with the "there are less people in SL" line. The "ooh shiny" and "it was on TV " people have left. The core of people who actually enjoy virtual worlds has grown.
  4. FIND SOMETHING TO DO. Just like in RL.

It always amazes me to find someone who has been in SL as long as you have with a blank profile. You say you are bored, yet to anyone who looks at your profile You are the boring one. In all of your years you have never found a place you liked enough to make a pick of?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Profile is empty because I left last year removed most of everything before I left. Logged in this year to see what's up...but nothing much is up...same old stuff.  You're just one of those people that can't take my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found something to do but not in SL. There are other games out there tons of them. It's just dissapointing that SLwas a place that used to be fun but now it has become boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

I have found something to do but not in SL. There are
other games out there
tons of them. It's just dissapointing that SLwas a place that used to be fun but now it has become boring.

To YOU... There are plenty of us who don't find it so. Perhaps you are the one that can't take others opinions.

 

ETA.. there is your issue in a nutshell... SL is NOT a game. You have to find things to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...

If you go through this thread and just read the OP's posts and no one else... it looks very much like he's not really asking a question but rather posting his amazement that others are not bored while he simply found it not to his liking.

 

Kinda like how a first person shooter player would confront people who like exploration/puzzle adventures. They simply cannot fathom how anyone could like a game that doesn't involve reflexes and button mashing.

Or how someone scoffs at kids who play with action figures instead of playing football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leo, SL isn't even comparable to any puzzle adventure game out there. It has turned into a place where you go to places to buy stuff.  Realistically I expected there would be some people out there that is bored of SL but I guess after making this post I realise the most of people that are bored of SL will not be the ones actively posting in the forum in the first place. You comparing SL to adventure/puzzle games really only shows you don't play much of anything outside of SL and it's clear by your passive agressiveness that you are hurt and you want to attack me 'back' for my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You missed the point of my post.

 

I wasn't comparing SL to puzzle/adventure games.

I was comparing your disinterest to it and first person shooter fans disinterest in puzzle/adventure games.

 

It sounds to me that SL simply just isn't for you and you can't imagine who it could be for because you can't relate.

Just like those first person shooters and what they think of games that try their patience.

 

And regarding your last post...

I think the reason people are defending SL is because you turned your question into a challenge.

As if you're treating them with contempt rather than genuinely asking what keeps them interested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

Leo, SL isn't even comparable to any puzzle adventure game out there. It has turned into a place where you go to places to buy stuff.  Realistically I expected there would be some people out there that is bored of SL but I guess after making this post I realise the most of people that are bored of SL will not be the ones actively posting in the forum in the first place. You comparing SL to adventure/puzzle games really only shows you don't play much of anything outside of SL and it's clear by your passive agressiveness that you are hurt and you want to attack me 'back' for my opinion.

It's probably true that people who were bored with SL have left it, and so won't be here to say they're bored with it. But I still think that boredom is more an internal than external thing. Boredom is something I've never experienced, anywhere, anytime.

Leonardo's use of the word "game" is quite correct if you are looking through the eyes of the first person shooter, as he is in the statement you took issue with...

"Kinda like how a first person shooter player would confront people who like exploration/puzzle adventures. They simply cannot fathom how anyone could like a game that doesn't involve reflexes and button mashing."

As for divining Leonardo's emotional state from what he's typed here, I don't think you can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


LeonardoMyst wrote:

You missed the point of my post.

 

I wasn't comparing SL to puzzle/adventure games.

I was comparing your disinterest to it and first person shooter fans disinterest in puzzle/adventure games.

 

It sounds to me that SL simply just isn't for you and you can't imagine who it could be for because you can't relate.

Just like those first person shooters and what they think of games that try their patience.

 

And regarding your last post...

I think the reason people are defending SL is because you turned your question into a challenge.

As if you're treating them with contempt rather than genuinely asking what keeps them interested.


I often find I can't relate. That's my problem, not anyone else's.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'll do anything about it.

;-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But is this a regional thing, being "bored OF" something?  

 

Around here we say "bored with", but "tired of". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

But is this a regional thing, being "bored OF" something?  

 

Around here we say "bored with", but "tired of". 

Well around where I live the phrase usually is, "I'm tired of your/his/her/their/this <expletive>"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's obvious that people here have a an problem with he word bored. To go as far as to say you never get bored of anything ever... seriously that is just denial. Boredom is normal. If people never get bored they'd keep doing the same thing for the rest of their lives. Maybe that's why SL has become so boring, it's filled with people that just keep doing the same things over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

It's obvious that people here have a an problem witht he word bored. To go as far as to say you never get bored of anything ever... seriously that is just denial. Boredom is normal. If people never get bored they'd keep doing the same thing for the rest of their lives. Maybe that's why SL has become so boring, it's filled with people that just keep doing the same things over and over.

I find it curious that people's internal workings are obvious to you. They're not obvious to me at all. But I think I can see how that kind of certainty leads to boredom. Could it be that you don't grasp the intricacies of the world around you because you have no conscious interest in them? Meanwhile your subconscious starves for things to ponder, and you call that feeling boredom. That feeling you have is a signal. Don't ignore it. Move your brain to a more interesting place.

Of course I'm just making up theories as I go. I doubt my abilities, but can't resist armchair psychology. And maybe this gives you a glimpse of the difficulty I'd have being bored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madeline if you say "I can see how that kind of certainty leads to boredom"  then you have experienced boredom. Constantly saying you never get bored only makes you look like you are in denial. That's why it's obvious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

Madeline if you say "
I can see how that kind of certainty leads to boredom" 
 then you have experienced boredom. Constantly saying you never get bored only makes you look like you are in denial. That's why it's obvious.

You are in no position to know what I've experienced. I'm barely in that position myself.

Wikipedia says...

Boredom is an emotional state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do, and not interested in their surroundings.

By this definition, I have never experienced boredom.

Google's Ngram Viewer plot for "boredom" is fascinating. I imagined potential causes and added them to the plot...Boredom.jpg

The telephone preceded boredom and television came after it. The phongraph came and went while boredom stayed, so it looks like radio is the culprit.

And here's boredom vs SL...

Boredom2.jpg

Notice that boredom is falling while SL is rising!

Talk about obvious!

Woo hoo!

;-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I'd like to think I'm not a boring person.  However, when I'm really,
really
bored, SL is the absolute
last
place I'd think of to get un-bored.

Masochism is a different story, though.

Re-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ally... Well now.. that... sounds like fun.

/me makes a mental note to hang out with Janelle more, remembering a tunnel excursion that ended up with him in a RLV trap..

I should clarify...

I completely understand the OP's sentiment.  For me, SL isn't boring as much as it is frustrating and annoying.  Yes, you do have to make your own fun if you want to get anywhere in this virtual world but sometimes it's just so pointless.  I mean, there are dozens of ideas and projects in music and machinima I'd like to do with SL, but once you get into it and realize the amount of effort to get it done right, you understand the futility.  It's like pushing molasses uphill with chopsticks; it's doable, but why bother?

So, for me, SL is boring.  The SL world is boring.  With the exception of a very, very few wonderful souls I've met, the people are freaking boring too.  I'm one of those introverted weirdos who can stay home on a Friday night and be perfectly content in my own mind, and I sure don't need SL for that.  :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

I have found something to do but not in SL. There are other games out there tons of them. It's just dissapointing that SLwas a place that used to be fun but now it has become boring.

Everything becomes boring if you do enough of it. SL is no different.

Things are often fun when they are new to you. SL is no different.

What you have found is that SL is just a normal 'thing', just like the everything else.

One point though. SL was never created as a fun thing. It was, and still is, only fun if you make it so for yourself. If you can't do that, then I wish you well with whatever it is you've found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Charli Infinity wrote:

It's obvious that people here have a an problem with he word bored.
To go as far as to say you never get bored of anything ever... seriously that is just denial.
Boredom is normal. If people never get bored they'd keep doing the same thing for the rest of their lives. Maybe that's why SL has become so boring, it's filled with people that just keep doing the same things over and over.

Actually, no it's not denial. Anyone can avoid boredom by doing other things. Boredom only sets in when start to lose interest in what we're doing and we can't think of something else to do.

For the record, Some years ago, I got bored with what I was doing in SL, so I stopped doing it. I stayed in SL because it was, and still is, financially worthwhile staying. These days, I enjoy doing something very different most days.

Also, for the record, the 'fun' quotient of SL hasn't changed much, if at all, since you were first in it. Whatever you found back then, you can still find. But, of course, doing the same thing can get boring, so it's up to you to do exactly what you did before and find fun things to do, or go elsewhere to find some fun. The onus is entirely on you. SL was never created to provide you with fun, so it hasn't let you down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I was replying to you. I think you read this quote in someone's profile or a variant thereof and decided it was true:

[T]ime you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
  -Marthe Troly-Curtin, Phrynette Married

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...