Login failure. Why does it keep saying my clock is set incorrectly?

Constance Serrao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep trying to log in and SL is saying my clock is set incorrectly. My PC clock was never incorrect so that's ridiculous. I tried putting in the wrong time for real and relogging because I was told that could work too, but I'm still getting the same message. It also says check my network and firewall so that it's set up correctly but I did and I don't think that's the problem. Help please

5 answers to this question

Since you have verified that your PC clock is accurate the following issue may be in play:

If your PC or Mac have had their Security Certificate Stores compromised and/or the SSL handling modules damaged, you will not be able to log into SL [or any other secure website as well]. If this only just happened you can try to perform a System Restore/Time Machine Recervery back a few days to a date where your PC was working normally.

• Like 2

Hi

you have two clocks on the PC

one is in the operating system Window Linux or Mac.

the second is the in the start up.

press delete or F1 as the machine starts up in to the operating system, this will start the computer start up systems information.

normally the system clock is on the first page.

make sure that it is set, to the time and date, and in some cases country.

hope that is of help, good luck

byee

• Like 2

Computer's clock is set incorrectly

The full error reads:

Unable to connect to Second Life.Often this means that your computer's clock is set incorrectly.Please go to Control Panels and make sure the time and dateare set correctly.

This message refers to time-based sensitivities with security certificates but normally isn't a problem, as you can test for yourself by deliberately setting your computer to the wrong time and trying to login. It should work.

If you're absolutely certain your time is set correctly, you haven't changed your system setup, and Second Life was working fine moments before, it's likely a transient problem with our servers. Check the Grid Status Reports page for news and try to login periodically. If you continue to get this message after logins are again working reliably for other Residents, contact Support.

In addition to this advice from Linden Lab, I should note that the "clock" problem frequently turns out to be the year that is set wrong.  People tend to verify the month and day, but overlook a year that is set incorrectly.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.