Basically I have no idea how to use SL. Please explain everything/good stores?

wildefleur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I understand how to buy lindens, and what marketplace and inworld stores are. But I don't understand anything else really. I've seen people post "lookbooks" on Flickr. But besides that, I really know nothing. And I don't understand "computer langyage" or any terms about SL, so please speak to me like a 7 year old LOL

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Wildefleur --

Where to begin?  If you were expecting Second Life to be a game, with rules about where to go and how to win prizes and gain ranks, you've come to the wrong place.  If you expected to be slaying dragons or space aliens, you could probably find places IN Second Life to do that, but that's not what SL is all about.  This is a social platform, a world with its own economic system where you can create things, buy and sell them, participate in musical events, or just sit and chat. 

It takes a little while to learn basic skills for getting around, organizing your stuff, and communicating.  Here's a good place to start >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919 . After that, look at this one >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-User-s-Guide/ta-p/1244857

You don't need to know a computer language.  You don't need to post stuff on Flickr or facebook (I wouldn't dream of it), and you don't need to buy or sell anything if you don't want to.  You don't need land or a place to live.  Those are all options you can decide on if you want to, but there are plenty of people who roam around SL, exploring and getting free things to wear.

Basically, you do whatever you want to.  I know that sounds very open-ended, but that's the way RL is too, if you think about it.  Explore, starting with places in your Destination Guide.  Meet people.  Use your imagination.

One final suggestion ..... Once you have read that Quick Start Guide and know how to teleport, vist Caledon Oxbridge University. They have some excellent tutorials for all the basic skills and beyond, and there are often helpful mentors to ask if you don't understand things.  Here's their address >>> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon%20Oxbridge/128/128/2

• Like 3

Welcome Wildefleur :)

Rolig, maybe you should supply your excellent answer to Wildefleur, with how to download and use the viewer...just in case, that Wildefleur hasn't found out yet, and maybe thinks that Second Life is only this website?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.