Hard wire ban, and still come back??

Dakota Rumble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How is this possible?, im no computer savey, but i have seen with my own eyes 1 griefer in particular keep coming back, griefing, crashing the info hub sim as he pleases. Linden Labs dont seem to beable to keep him away, as alt after alt turns up and dose it all over again, and the worst thing is, you have to listen to him on voice as he abuses everyone around him, and now has a few followers, who he has helped get back into SL after they too were banned. Is there ever going to be an end to this? Unfortunatley there are less and less people going there, and finding a good conversation is getting very hard to find these days, why cant Linden Labs do more?

5 answers to this question

"How is this possible?, im no computer savey, but i have seen with my own eyes 1 griefer in particular keep coming back, griefing, crashing the info hub sim as he pleases."

It's possible.  I've even seen people post how they've been unfairly banned and someone will be stupid enough to suggest work-arounds to the ban.  That's being a little too helpful i think.

Look at the bright side, LL is acting upon this person as they do get banned and the answer is as simple as don't let idiots annoy you, just keep enjoying SL and reporting the griefer. Sooner or later the person will get tired of being banned and move on, or maybe they'll even get an actual life lol.

• Like 1

One of the most common devices used for a hardware hash ban is the network interface device.  Those are cheap (like about 15 bucks brand new at Best Buy).  I have a couple laying around somewhere in my past computer junk room myself.  Change it......quick, easy, and most of the time it gets the job done.  There are other devices too, but most hardware bans ban that device only.  Routers and modems are used too.........change location such as the local Library or maybe Starbucks.

• Like 1

Lol thanx, everyone gets tired of these people, and i have been on SL for just over a year now, and your right the greifers do get tired of it, just this one person who has been around for longer than myself, keeps coming back in waves and doing it all over again! Dont worry i dont let it get to me, just have to be the better person and leave the place i do love the most, sad that it comes to that and that these people enjoy doing it so much oh well must be time to find a new home Thanx

"Dont worry i dont let it get to me, just have to be the better person and leave the place i do love the most, sad that it comes to that and that these people enjoy doing it so much"

If it is Linden land there isn't much you can do past filing ARs.

If it is privately owned land you can contact the owner, send them an IM or nc telling them how grateful you are that the land they provided exists but how it is being ruined.  Chances are they won't like anyone ruining it and will get someone to watch over the land with rights to eject.

Either way, SL is a big place with much beauty... you'll find a good spot  : )

Not really. Linden Lab has lots of ways to block and check for alts, but for each one there is always a way to get around it for those with the technical know how. So yes, there will always be those who can get back in as long as Linden Lab has an open policy on creating new accounts.

There are ways to fix this, but Linden Lab has neither the will or desire to implement them. For one, they could require some form of payment info for all new accounts. Basic accounts would still be free, but you can't quite get your hands on dozens of free disposable credit card numbers with as much ease as you can make free disposable email accounts. The red flags any attempt like that would raise would also be easily noticed and much more seriously investigated. It would also make tracking and deterring mid or low level griefing much much more easy as well since they are likely to use the same info for all their accounts. But the negative effect on registrations would naturally be significant as well, so they will never do it. They'd rather just let everyone in and hope for the best than put a barrier at the gate that might garner negative PR in any way (Headline: OH NOES! Second Life registrations are way down! Is this the beginning of the end for SL?).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.