Scanning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new to sl and recently was talking with a person in secondlife. I've been warned about alot of scams and hackers and such in the game. This person told me that they could scan people and find out everything they were wearing so when i told them not to scan me they did it anyway. now i have also been warned about copybot only know a little about it. they told me they were not using that but it was an old school thing you could do.

my question is simple were they being truthful is this an old school trick or was I in danger. I guess i am thinking too much about it but it sort of startled me because they became very angry when i teleported away from them.

You're correct that scams and other exploit-based attacks are high in Second Life. You're right to be wary. :)

Scanning... could mean anything in the context you're using it in. There's llSensor, which is an LSL (script) function that's totally harmless. There's also proprietary scanning systems - devices that ping other compatible devices, which are also (typically) harmless.

I don't see how someone obtaining a list of the items you're wearing would be damaging, even if it were easily possible - all it would give them is the attachments name and other 'metadata' about the object. It also wouldn't be able to give information on system clothing. My understanding is that it's not a standard feature of a Second Life viewer, though third-party viewers may include a feature like this.

Copybot is only a risk to the items you're wearing, it's not possible to steal any personal information using it. Intellectual Property theft now has to be dealt with by the creator of any exploited objects - it's not your responsibility to resolve and it's not your loss if it occurs, (unless the Copybotted items were ones you made yourself).

I don't think any of these possible tricks contains 'danger' to your account or personal information.

Nothing wrong with that - a lot of the people I know in SL could stand to think a lot more! :D It's always good to keep your eyes open in unfamiliar territory, though!

Mostly purchases and assets/items that you own are safe in your Inventory - it's not possible for other people to access your inventory or take things from it. Even nasty attacks like Copybot only take copies, leaving you with your undamaged original.

All of your other important information - credit card or address information for example - is stored in your account. The only way for anyone to get access to either of these is for you to give your password out, or to be using a weak password in the first instance.

Your L$ account (in-game tokens) can be accessed by others using DEBIT permission. This is always displayed in a large yellow warning box, letting you know exact informatino about which object wants this permission - and giving you the option to Decline. Another popular L$ scam is to convince someone to join a group that costs money, for example. L$ is the easiest thing to lose, but you're just as likely to lose it buying something that isn't as it was advertised as you are in a scam.

Typically the only information that's very 'at risk' in Second Life is your Internet Protocol (IP) address and other browser/connection information. This can sometimes give people clues about where in the real world you are, what type of computer you're using, but it's by no-means precise. Typically protection from this is identical to protecting yourself as you would in any other online space.

I'm sure you'll get your feet planted firmly soon enough. :)

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Nothing wrong with that - a lot of the people I know in SL could stand to think a lot more!
:D

The more Maddy thinks, the less finger wagging I get to do. Finger wagging is the only exercise I get. So, if you don't mind, I'll not tell Maddy what you said about her.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.