Will SL live forever, not just in our memories?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bellbottoms never died. They wear out, sure they changed and everyone has different memories of them but for those who discover them and like them they join. The old timers that are hardcore about them may even try them again, or think about it. SL doesn't happen in the streets, it is a second and seperate life. No worries about looking out of touch.

Bellbottoms survived, so will SL.

Proof? Maybe not, but there is an example about half way down this page at the other side of this URL: https://stories.californiasunday.com/2014-10-05/virtual-reality-hollywood

The acedemic guys who used very early virtual reality liked those experiences and remember those spaces, nostalgia kicks in. Take a lot of picks of the places you like, build one space of you own and maybe save it. You never know when it may bring back some fond memories and be a place to meet old friends!

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

The picture of the family all wearing headsets and ignoring each other even though they're all within arm's reach?

The cat appears to be leaving.  He's the only one with any sense.

He's actually returning to his room, where he'll log in and have virtual sex with everyone in the family. What's not clear from the picture is whether he's playing human, or they're playing cat.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

The picture of the family all wearing headsets and ignoring each other even though they're all within arm's reach?

The cat appears to be leaving.  He's the only one with any sense.

He's actually returning to his room, where he'll log in and have virtual sex with everyone in the family. What's not clear from the picture is whether he's playing human, or they're playing cat.

Some questions ( and their associated mental images ) should never, ever be asked or brought to mind.

This was one of them.

I am not sure, but if the headsets are more than $50-$100 I doubt many families are going to buy so many sets. People say "but everyone has a desktop" and I laugh because some of those are hand me downs in the masses homes. Then again, record breakiing debt is not new but maybe the this is what they figure will happen: people don't buy new PC's and use old ones for an extra year or three and basically buy these headsets.

I imagine thier goal is early adopters and more or less the whole thing is for people to all watch or interact together because they mention hollywood and gaming is rather popular with even adults. The weird thing is, I think most people will have a player and watchers, watching the TV set hooked up to a gaming box or a TV streaming thingy with app abillity. They take turns or just watch the one who wanted the game. The reason I think this was due to the new sort of movie oriented games, one person mentioned playing a game ('The Last of Us' maybe?) and everyone watched as they played because they saw the story line and stuck around, it was cinematics that drew them in and kept them around, or so it seems to me.

So, everyon ignoring each other is maybe not the issue because they could do that with mobile devices and be out with friends instead of family at home.

I am more worried that peoples reaction times and syncronization will leave them crashing thier cars, dropping things and ruining sports for kids in school teams so bad that people will reall hate these devices and the government gets involved. But, the Virtual Boy from nintendo didn't have this issue, it just game with a warning. This may be slightly different and more dangerous, but who knows. The bit about people running out of the cinima paints a very paranoid picture of the past, but reminds that now people are very accepting of technology but they attack even the stuff that seems to be proven to not really work well.

And, for those who HATE headsets, here is another link:

For those thinking it is for recording that I post this, no I post it because if they can get images out it may be a matter of time but they may be able to put images in. fmri and other nifty tech may lead to this stuff, of course the risk of brain cancer from current medical scans also shows that we may never be free of a headset.

So, projectors and a room. CAVE. Yeah, maybe that will be the happy medium. I just turn to the lack of hydrolic race seats in 99% of gamers gaming gear setup and shrug and figure this will be similar. No one uses projectors these days, they are already around and you get a HUGE screen, and most spend money on a smaller TV that hangs on the wall. *shrugs* and this is why I don't think the whole family will all have headsets, it is exorbitant and right now people are seeing little growth in 3D TV sets as they are, though there is a small market and maybe a big enough one though. SL is like that, it is still here and LL makes a profit from it's few peices of software.

I think it even stretches to MMOs.

My first MMOs were Neocron and Star Wars Galaxies, both of which had player housing, clothing and furniture. Both were also very atmospheric, with you living in areas that were beautifully designed and populated with both players and npcs.

Virtual life could never replace real life, but the memories you make in it are just as real.

I have several places I am fond of that never existed in physical form.

Something I would like to see is a program that instead of uploading an an avatar into a virtual world, you are able to create your own home or decorate a purchased blueprint/template that's stored locally on your computer.

When you're logged off, the server only shows the exterior with shut/locked doors and windows. When you log in, it uploads the interior of the home and you can venture out or have visitors enter.

And then it would need to be something that's not tied to any one service provider so that each person can have a different server they use. Kinda like internet or cell phones, but connecting virtually instead.

And then slowly modify internet pages to be more interactive. Project Gutenberg could be a library, youtube could be a cinema... etc...

LeonardoMyst wrote:

I think it even stretches to MMOs.

My first MMOs were Neocron and Star Wars Galaxies, both of which had player housing, clothing and furniture. Both were also very atmospheric, with you living in areas that were beautifully designed and populated with both players and npcs.

Virtual life could never replace real life, but the memories you make in it are just as real.

I have several places I am fond of that never existed in physical form.

Something I would like to see is a program that instead of uploading an an avatar into a virtual world, you are able to create your own home or decorate a purchased blueprint/template that's stored locally on your computer.

When you're logged off, the server only shows the exterior with shut/locked doors and windows. When you log in, it uploads the interior of the home and you can venture out or have visitors enter.

And then it would need to be something that's not tied to any one service provider so that each person can have a different server they use. Kinda like internet or cell phones, but connecting virtually instead.

And then slowly modify internet pages to be more interactive. Project Gutenberg could be a library, youtube could be a cinema... etc...

You're right about the memories we make here being just as real. I've had to bite my tongue several times, as I was on the verge of describing to a RL friend an experience I had in SL. It would be hard to explain how I'd spent an afternoon lounging in an active volcano.

It is currently possible to script a home to change its appearance when you log out, so that the doors close and lock and the lights go out. Upon log-in, the house would come to life. That would require a full-perm or self built structure, but it can be done. I have a set of simple firelogs that catch fire when one or two specific avatars are within range. I built those logs on a whim and was surprised by the emotional impact they have.

And I think this marks a difference between SL and RL. In RL, much of the world is unintentional. In SL, everything is the result of "intelligent design".

;-).

I don't see a future for group headgear play. That's just too much cognitive dissonance. I feel like a curmudgeon when discussing the future of immersive VR. It's swimming against the mobile tide at a time when "sitting is the new smoking".

If you watch teens, though they may be texting like crazy, they're still roaming the streets in packs, just like they did the day the first street was invented. I think the near future holds more promise for technology to invade the real world than for humans to invade virtual worlds.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I'm really curious what kind of Darwin awards will be coming from oculus rift?

Or silly stories about someones house being robbed while the whole family was on oculus vacationing in the alps.

Wha wha Where all our stuffs go?! \o/:smileysurprised:

YES, headphones on and you think something is going down. I mean, something bad and sometimes it was just a stupid advertisment or an autoload video in another tab! See, "multitasking" (getting confused and not being able to concentrate, so you move onto something else may not count as "multitasking" really) is bad for your health, you end up getting stressed for a second while you are not sure what is happening and where that noise is coming from.

You can see I am a perfect candidate for virtual world use, I would end up teleporting and trying to browse and get all kinds of crazy noises in my soundscape and would be reacting to them in the virtual world. Cameras or some other location tracking stuff would end up being pretty funny as I start walking around holding a large object and maybe start screaming at unkown entities and grabbing at my head to get the headset off. :(

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I don't see a future for group headgear play. That's just too much cognitive dissonance. I feel like a curmudgeon when discussing the future of immersive VR. It's swimming against the mobile tide at a time when "sitting is the new smoking".

If you watch teens, though they may be texting like crazy, they're still roaming the streets in packs, just like they did the day the first street was invented. I think the near future holds more promise for technology to invade the real world than for humans to invade virtual worlds.

Teens. A quick blast of thought ended up entering my mind about this the other day.

Devices = spies.

Parents, NSA and if you upload something because you are afraid of losing your GF or BF it may end up passed around, stolen or whatever. So, some that feel pressured (like they wont end up with another date or BF or GF. But, hey they are kids and those few years are quick but seem like everything unless they stop and think about what they may end up getting into) so...yeah, now you are made fun of for the pics. It could be easier to just go see people in person, which means they may end up with a pregnancy and so on, or very heratbroken and feeling distrustful (rightfully so, people can be mean and images of nudity with embarassing poses, phrases or whatever do haunt some people) and all that jazz.

Phones = not drugs. You can't download drugs. Ok, binaural beats don't count that much, they are likely to help them focus on homework than anything else lol.

So, yeah. Drugs and sex, pretty much that makes these devices and virtual reality a joke to those types of kids. For the more timid, less inclined to take risks there is virtual reality though, it may be something that either jades, bores or intriques (all at different times and for different things) so who knows what may happen.

There was a guy who won a competition, a car racing one. He got to do some laps in a real race car, they said that despite his barfing and weight etc. he did do well enough to make them think he might have made it into a program and become a rookie. He was a bit to old and out of shape, but maybe he eventually did get into real car racing of some kind. A slower, less G-Force and competiative one. He learned the methods and track all in virtual racing games, no headset needed. So, I think we may have seen the worste the hordes of teens can do. They can be terrible, just look at the singapore bubble gum banning. They made a mess of everything, so they banned bubble gum and made it against the law to use but by prescription from a dr. Crazy stuff, but it can happen.

Future news? Watermellons BANNED after Teens Make Real Life Watermellon Cannons and Go On  Rampage Destroying Street Lights. "They cause lag, we need to get to school and to our friends houses faster, they are red for to long! DESTROY LAG" they screemed as they ran over to a grocery store and opened up all the cash registers and held the store owners at cannon point to speed up thier purchase of large amounts of bacon.

I wish Second Life survives during my lifetime, as long as possible, but i dont see it happening. in my memory, i hope it lasts a long time.

the intention of virtual reality has been here for a long time, some way or the other, the idea of fooling our senses enough to make us believe that something is happening, all computer generated, to the point that we feel it as real, we got it in the movies, big screens, high resolution screens, rendering engines, the problem to this day is that we still know is not real, we know we are staring to a screen, the best solution so far is going directly to our senses, putting the screens directly to our eyes and using earbuds, people still want to reach the point of believing that what is virtual is real, but the problem with those headsets, is that its an obstacle to the real world, so they are trying to disappear the screen, making Google Glasses, something that will not interfere with our rl functioning, they are going to perfection it, until they find a balance, maybe a head device that will write directly to our brains, seeing and hearing inside of our minds, like memories and imagination, is the goal they want to achieve.

the family members will like to be there in virtual reality, as long as it doesnt interrupt the daily functioning, they will go there for entertainment, to fulfill a desire, like second life does to many people, to be able to have a family, walk, ride a horse, the ability to see for the blind and to hear for the deaf, to get information about the people they love.

virtual reality is a human goal, and we are not going to stop until we reach it to perfection, maybe Second Life is not going to exist, at least Second Life 1, but we are going to have access to a virtual world that will grant most of our wishes.

Second Life will only live on in our memories. There's no chance it or its successor will survive as a service or business.

The problem is us. This kind of thing appeals to people who spend an inordinate amount of time online. We make it inhospitable to "normal" people. Someone in this very thread is going to tell me SL is better off without "normal" people, and that is the very attitude that will prevent SL and its successor from surviving in anything but our memories.

The mathematics of obsession look like this: If you are online five times as much as a "normal" person, you will be over-represented online. "Normal" people will see five times as many people like you as there actually are. Five times as many people online who are impatient that they don't already know something they "should" know. Five times as many people online who hold in contempt their affinity for mainstream things and for social networking. Five times as many people who will give them incomprehensible explanations for how things work, and then ridicule them for not understanding. Five times as many people who think our lifestyles need to be prominently on display and their lifestyles need to be shamed and changed. Five times as many people who aren't interested in the things they are interested in. Five times as many people who would rather be hiding in a build cave than having a conversation. Five times as many people who will produce things that look incongruent and strange.

Don't be surprised if SL2 intentionally works against what "we" want. LL has probably figured out that "we" are the problem. But LL should be prepared for "us" to dominate their new platform, anyway, because we will work around their obstacles in ways they don't anticipate. Because we are obsessive and determined. Moreso than they are. Moreso than "normal" people.

So, SL2 will meet the same fate that SL will. "We" will make it inhospitable to their intended user base, and incompatible with large-scale adoption.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.