Secondlife crashes while starting?

Asylum Utherwurldly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

When SL loads it dectects your hardware... Usually When it gets to the VFX or S its trying to get your Video info

For some reason yet unknow to man and appearanty unknown to SL, it cant figure out your video settings.. Easily to get by id to D/L the Beta or the Developemnt version of the SL viewer. SL doent support your video card. they should anyway.  When this error accours you can try uninstalling all of SL Whip it clean from your PC. even the Files.  This error is not repairable via anyway I know of. Maybe when SL will have an update it will be taken care of

I can't do a system restore xD it never worked on my current system.

and I meet all the requirements...

Windows 7; 64-bit

I have an Nvidia card, plenty of space... and I tried everything that the help center said

and I really don't get an error message, it just closes and the little report bug thing comes up...

and yes it's the most recent version. Nothing on my computer apparently needs updating either

At what point are you crashing?  Do you crash before you reach the log in screen? Or does that crash occur after clicking the "Log in" button?  It's not enough to just say your video card is an nVidia card with plenty of space........what video card and what do you mean "plenty of space"?  If your talking of video RAM then that may be important for someone to know specifically in order to help (more than "plenty of space").

If you can get to the log in screen click the "Help" menu.  From the drop down you'll see "About SL"......click it.  On the dialog that opens you'll see your basic system specs.  Copy those and paste back here.........no one can do anything except guess with what little information you've provided so far.

I already said it crashes before it gets to the log in screen o_O

plenty of space on my computer as in I have 302gb out of 372gb free

I have a Nvidia geforce 8800gt card

2.00GB RAM

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU  @2.40GHz

Do note that I'm only so old I haven't been using windows 7 very long, and even when I was on windows vista, I never had to nor bothered to look for my CPU or RAM, or even my graphics card. I've never had a problem with something running.

The most likely cause for the viewer to crash before the login screen is out-of-date or out-of-sync graphics drivers.  See this alot when people update operating systems and don't get the proper graphics drivers installed.  Go to nVidea and download and install the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card and Win7.  Make sure you select 32 or 64 bit depending on which Win7 version you are running.

--Cinn

On the log in screen click Me >preferences > graphics then reduce your settings in graphics. Additional options are available if you click, advanced.

Is your graphics card driver up to date?

Nvidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

AMD:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Intel:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

• Like 1

Asylum Utherwurldly wrote:

I already said it crashes before it gets to the log in screen o_O

And:

Faubio.Alter wrote:

On the log in screen click Me >preferences > graphics then reduce your settings in graphics. Additional options are available if you click, advanced.

??

Here is a collection of things to fix the problem: Second Life Viewer Crashes While Starting

This is almost always an install failure of some kind.

But, changed settings in the viewer can also cause the problem. Some settings can be changed, but have no effect until the viewer is restarted. So, the next time you login, crash.

The cache can get corrupted and that can cause a crash on the next login. Sharing the Second Life Viewer Cache with more than one 'brand' of viewer can corrupt the cache... from the 'other'viewer's viewpoint. So, if you use TPV's problems can be more frequent. Consistant use of one or the other viewer reduces the likelihood of problems. It is the switching back and forth that increases problems.

Repeated viewer restarts can often fix problems caued by both of those issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.