Question for all rpers ...............

Kurt Jiagu
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do some rp sims consider it necessary to have dances whenever . The sims are supposedly for roleplay .......if people wanted to dance , there are thousands of other places in sl where they can go to do this and where these places are probably much better seeing as thats there specific purpose . Yes , I`ve heard the excuse its for "bonding " etc etc . but thats still no excuse ..............make another sim owner happy by taking your  ENTIRE  group and "bonding " at their dance  venue . Your sims are for roleplay ........and that is the main reason  people visit your  sims .......... so lets keep roleplay sims for rp ............and dance clubs and such venues for ooc relaxation ........... anyone else got any ideas on  this ?

yes ,  maybe ....., but those who are genuinely interested in  being  there for rp , will probably also contribute in some way to the sims tier fees . This is speaking from experience , (I used to be a co -owner of  a 9 sim  roleplay estate) ........... and those who are just there for "events" will do as most do ......... just go from  sim to sim  ,usually whichever one is hosting an event .........

from my experience , most rp sims tend to be what I call community sims ......... the communities are formed by "bonding " and friendships forming which dosent always easily occur during actual rp ....... some people tend to get confused by the boundaries of roleplay and often what is roleplay becomes personal .......... so yes ooc events are a good way of easing any tensions caused by this ...... gives a chance for people to see that the characters that some portray  are indeed that -roleplay characters and not  their actual personalities **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif" border="0" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />)The question is ,  how often ? if at all ,  any such event should be held within the rp sims ?ooc events for peoples b`days , special holidays , may be fine ...... but is there any need for weekly dances or even more frequent such events ........... ?

You're correct that RP sims should foster/cultivate their own community. Many of the best ones do this and do it brilliantly. As you say it's completely practical to host some OOC events - so long as they tie into the theme and make sense.

Many others seek shortcuts to a community (or try to replace a failed community), and struggle to justify high tier costs. I would imagine that hosting dances is mostly a 'last gasp' or other fairly clueless attempt to score traffic based on the old SL adage of "build it and they will come". Has not worked in many years. I find it doubtful that these 'dances' would be expected to make money - clubbing in SL does not make money, it's typically more of a drive for audience/traffic.

I've also never met an RP community that successfully shared costs for tier for longer than a month, would assume this is untenable. Therefore impossible to expect the community to ever cover tier, regardless of the frequency of events.

IMHO such tactics are more common in over-subscribed roleplay scenes with very little value-added. It's a good indicator of low community participation and/or low managerial investment.

Haha, no.

Everything in SL changes except the ineptitude of those with money/power. Second Life traffic/audience business is primarily stuck in the same place it was in '07 (minus the payoff). First thing new sim owners do is rez danceballs and sploders. :P

Like I say some people know better and do it right. The rest are the consumers required for regular churn.

Should've posted a prior warning: my cynicism runs deep.

Depends on the sim theme. Where I RP we have 2 bars where people regularly meet. The "events" are no different than what you would see in your local bar. A medieval RP sim with modern dance events.....shudders.

As for sharing tier, doesn't happen. Most RPers don't contribute to the tier for where they play, even if "tip" jars or help pay our tier signs are left out.

Here's one example of why. Let's say you want to have renters pay for their shops. You have a dance, and a bunch of dots show up. Your traffic is huge in your Second Life parcel report. Then you notecard all the shop owners and say, please pay your rent. They come in and think, "wow, what a lot of traffic! A lot of people rp here! I will pay tier to a sim(( that survives by holding dances))!"

But there's another issue, which is people mean different things by the word "roleplay." Example.  I was in a sim, I'm going to call it Roman to avoid catcalling, and they were having a beach party where everyone was wearing modern swimsuits and talking OOC right there among the Roman buildings. To them, that's RP. They're totally serious. Mentally, I think they manage it by occasionaly having someone say "I am a gladiator." and the other person says "let's have sex!" and someone else watching says "lol" and someone else says "Hey, the Seahawks just won." to them, that's Roman RP and all is well.

And who are we to say they are wrong, it's just what they like. But it cracks me up, because if you talk to the owner or any of the sim's admins, they'll insist they are very much an authentic Roman RP sim and don't you dare say anything different - don't you dare say that because your sim doesn't allow modern dress beach parties, that your RP is any more authentic.

We all just have to be tolerant, I guess, and rather than regret or try to change a sim that's doing a different kind of rp than we like, we just move on ... God knows, there are lots of choices ...

Now .. there are also sims where they have the dances in an OOC area. I think that's actually a pretty good idea. The brutal truth is, a lot of people want to rp for five minutes and talk about it for 20, and then they want to talk to other typists because maybe they're in SL because they want some company right now and to talk about their RL issues. Other people want to say they roleplay - that's the reason they're in SL, they tell themselves and others - , but that's just their excuse to be there and they really want is for you to ask them how their RL day was and to be their RL friend. Or maybe they just want some friends, and you can't make RL friends as "Erastus the cannibal gladiator" but you can make RL friends as the typist whose avatar is dancing and talking OOC. That's not roleplay - totally IMHO - but it's community, and that's more important.

My typist's dearest RL friends from SL are people who insist they are here for roleplay, and they clearly enjoy it from time to time, but irl in fact they want company (I don't want to trigger a big can of worms here, but we'd probably agree some percentage of people in SL are a little lonely irl). I think it's easier to tell yourself "I'm here to play a game" than to say "I'm here because I need company." And it's all good - SL is full of much weirdness, like RL, but I've met wonderful friends here and hopefully you are too, away from the dancing :)

hmm, yeah , I should have been a bit more specific , I was talking about historical roleplay ....but I guess it included any roleplay sims where dances and such like are not part of the roleplay ...........ie  modern roleplay sims ...... :)

yes , peoples perception of roleplay varies greatly. (your description of the roman sims made me chuckle ....:)) ).I think this maybe the problem.Its probably why most (not all ) roleplay sims have so many problems and tend to disappear after a while as their players move onto other things ......usually because those who wish to roleplay  "properly " for want of a better word  become disenchanted with the style of roleplay .......as for your comments about peoples reasons for being here ,  yes  ,you may have something there , but with all the social media there is available these days , I do not understand why they choose to use sl for this reason ........

I believe "proper rp sims" tend to vanish and concentrate more on ooc dances and stuff, because rping in a specific era requires spending a lot of rl time getting knowledge about the specific time and place in history. People are kind of lazy putting effort in having fun.....For example even if you rp in a Star Trek environment you need to know something about it!!!! I think people get more kicks in endless rant rather evolving themselves even through sl and rping.....

yeah good point ..........so youre saying all sl players are lazy !!! :) but I like to think sim owners encourage rpers  to learn more , by being creative and making it fun .......after all thats the whole point of being in sl as you mentioned :))

Archived