Particle weirdness

Kwakkelde Kwak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since roughly the beginning of this year I have been experiencing heavy client side lag when there are a lot of particles on screen. When I zoom in, I often see my fps drop from a capped 60 to single digits. I know I am not alone, others on the forum have the same experience.

Today I noticed something odd when I zoomed in on a string of particles. Instead of showing just the particles that should be on screen, a bunch of chain links, the viewer surprised me with another set of particles in the same spot, particles that are used nearby in a waterfall.

I was wondering if someone could explain the lag I've been experiencing for a long time now and if someone knows if the phenomenon I described has anything to do with it.

I couldn't make a screenshot, that only showed the chain. So here a pic made with my camera:

Particles.png

My specs etc are these:

Second Life 3.7.9 (31724) Jun 15 2014 13:38:42 (RestrainedLove viewer v2.09.00.0 (3.7.8.31723))
Release Notes

You are at 69.0, 43.7, 48.6 in Southern Star located at sim20072.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.55.10:13010)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Southern%20Star/69/44/49
(global coordinates 188,997.0, 258,092.0, 48.6)
Second Life RC LeTigre 14.09.26.294825
Retrieving...

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3492.13 MHz)
Memory: 16276 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.4052
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG Runtime: 1.4.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/0 (-1.0%) (uhhh weirdness here too!)

I know the viewer isn't the very latest, but the up-to-date SL viewer gives me terrible lag with particles as well.

I can assure you particles suddenly made me lag like crazy. I do not know exactly when it started unfortunately. I mentioned it in april on the forums and some others said they were experiencing the same.

I'm also not sure if the bug you linked is the same, it's hard to say if the white flashes are nearby particles or not, in my case the waterfall is clearly the waterfall and it shouldn't show. If it is, the bug could be about as old as my lag issues, which could be a coincidence....

Changing the shadow settings didn't change a thing. Turning off the ALM did. After switching back to ALM then turning it back off the glitch was gone completely. What stayed was the lag....

The particle effect where the texture from one particle system jumps to another particle system is a know issue since the introduction of ribbon particles. Can't remember when but could be about a year ago. That picture of the chain is a ribbon particle. There is also a performance hit associated with it. There are several jiras on it but take a look at this one: jira.phohenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-11745.

A newer viewer may well help.

Thanks (you too Qie) , that's a duplicate of the JIRA Qie linked. Very, very odd that it took me a full year to notice it.

Isn't a ribbon particle some special kind of particle? Both the waterfall and chain have been there for years...

I'll try another viewer and if that does not help I'll just live with it :)

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Isn't a ribbon particle some special kind of particle? Both the waterfall and chain have been there for years...

Right, but practically all the changes for ribbon particles were viewer-side; indeed, practically everything about particles is viewer-side, the server simply supplying the property specifying what sort of particle the viewer is to render. When introducing ribbon particles, they did have to make that property (even) more elaborate, but mostly they had to change the viewer to know how to draw them, which was the first serious attention paid to particles in a really long time, so it's not too surprising that there were some glitches, although it is disappointing that this particular bug hasn't been fixed after all this time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.