Why doesn't the forum software work for me?

Lia Abbot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having real problems with the forum software recently. It simply won't work in Windows Explorer and I've been forced to load Firefox, which I don't like.

When I try to post a new question, the screen comes up and lets me put in a title, but the lower part of the screen just sist there with the wheel going round and round. The same happens when I try to start a discussion.

When I press the button that quotes who I'm replying to, it works the first and second times, then all the buttons at the top of the screen freeze.

When I try to post a photo, it lets me select the pic I want, and then just hangs there.

Anyone got any ideas? Like I said it works fine on Firefox, but not Windows Explorer.

24 answers to this question

Hmmm - I don't have a definite answer as I exclusively use Chrome now. However, one thing that might be worth trying is to clear your browser cache (tools - internet options - then the delete button under 'browsing history') I'd probably clear temporary internet files and possibly cookies too and see if that works.)

Heck - 'clear cache' is the standard answer for SL viewer issues, so it might work for the browser too!

Suella Ember wrote:

Hmmm - I don't have a definite answer as I exclusively use Chrome now. However, one thing that might be worth trying is to clear your browser cache (tools - internet options - then the delete button under 'browsing history') I'd probably clear temporary internet files and possibly cookies too and see if that works.)

Heck - 'clear cache' is the standard answer for SL viewer issues, so it might work for the browser too!

Thanks Suella. Tried that but I still can't post a pic. But thanks anyway.

Cinnamon.Lohner wrote:

What version are you using?  I'm a FireFox user myself but I have IE8 on this system and have been running it since I saw your question.  Not seen any of the problems you describe as of yet.

--Cinn

Okay, it tells me I'm on 7.0.5730.13. Maybe I should try to upgrade.

I'm using IE 8 also and have not had the problems you are having.  The only problem I do have is that once I click the "quote" icon to quote the post I'm referring to in my response, the spell checker and formatting tools (such as bold or italics) don't always work.  However, that may be the time I've spent typing my response because that only seems to happen when I've paused from posting to do some real life stuff and come back a while later to finish what I was typing.  I sort of written that off to the secure website these forums are on (which brings up a real question in my mind for the "why is it secure in the first place?").

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Peggy.Paperdoll wrote:

I'm using IE 8 also and have not had the problems you are having.  The only problem I do have is that once I click the "quote" icon to quote the post I'm referring to in my response, the spell checker and formatting tools (such as bold or italics) don't always work.  However, that may be the time I've spent typing my response because that only seems to happen when I've paused from posting to do some real life stuff and come back a while later to finish what I was typing.  I sort of written that off to the secure website these forums are on (which brings up a real question in my mind for the "why is it secure in the first place?").

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Hi Peggy. That sounds similar to the problem I'm having with the quote button, but it happens when I press more than once.

I'm on 7 so I'll try upgrading.

forum software is for eggheads and lemmings. I prefer to stumble along, oblivious and ignorant to all that business and thus avoid major migranes so I figure it balances in the final analysis. Yesterday the land company i've been paying tier to for the last couple years to the tune of about  1000 USD/annum tell me I gotta move and pack up my 3750 prims and find somewhere else to live. Not a big deal, i guess, but it goes to show how SL mimics RL in many aspects. I got stuff to do in RL anyway and I prefer RL, anway, as I am ultimately  the Captain of My own destiny   and not subject to the whims of some pixel head (not that there's anything wrong with that, being  a pixel head)

AOXOMOXOA.Ansar wrote:

forum software is for eggheads and lemmings. I prefer to stumble along, oblivious and ignorant to all that business and thus avoid major migranes so I figure it balances in the final analysis. Yesterday the land company i've been paying tier to for the last couple years to the tune of about  1000 USD/annum tell me I gotta move and pack up my 3750 prims and find somewhere else to live. Not a big deal, i guess, but it goes to show how SL mimics RL in many aspects. I got stuff to do in RL anyway and I prefer RL, anway, as I am ultimately  the Captain of My own destiny   and not subject to the whims of some pixel head (not that there's anything wrong with that, being  a pixel head)

Well you make these forums more fun, Moxie, so that's fine

Anyone got any ideas? Like I said it works fine on Firefox, but not Windows Explorer.

Explorer isn't as standards compliant as it could be.  Firefox is a lot closer.  You have to code websites specifically for Internet Explorer, whereas if you code to the standards, you're going to be covered for most users.  Doubly true if you test on a variety of screen aspect ratios and resolutions as well.  For a company that already supports a vareity of platforms and is considering targeting more, it doesn't make sense to write around the peculiarities of one specific web browser that only has decent support and any following on one of those platforms.  Especially if the way the browser handles the basics keeps changing each version.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Explorer isn't as standards compliant as it could be.  Firefox is a lot closer.  You have to code websites specifically for Internet Explorer, whereas if you code to the standards, you're going to be covered for most users.  Doubly true if you test on a variety of screen aspect ratios and resolutions as well.  For a company that already supports a vareity of platforms and is considering targeting more, it doesn't make sense to write around the peculiarities of one specific web browser that only has decent support and any following on one of those platforms.  Especially if the way the browser handles the basics keeps changing each version.

Okay, thanks Baloo. I'm just more familiar with Explorer.

Cinnamon.Lohner wrote:

What version are you using?  I'm a FireFox user myself but I have IE8 on this system and have been running it since I saw your question.  Not seen any of the problems you describe as of yet.

--Cinn

Hey Cinnamon. I moved up to V8 and all is now working. You get the points thanks. And, since I can now insert pix:

Cupcakes!cupcake2.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.