New Club - Need free shoutcast server

DMColz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm doing a bit of research to try and find the best and most suitable option for our permanent club stream.

We will have several DJ's operating on the same server so it's not just a radio station were looking for. 

On the SL marketplace there are several streams for rent and they seem to be cheaper than purepowerstreams.

However, I already have my own stream from listentomyradio.com - its free and apparently serves up to 5000 listeners. I was wondering if it would be viable to use this stream for the new club and if not, can anyone explain why not? 

Also, are there any other free alternatives besides listentomyradio?

I'm trying to wiegh up all the options available, and I will need to justify any expenses from this to my business partner. And I just don't see the sense in paying for a stream when there are free alternatives on the market, but because (evidently) I have like no experience in this department I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice. 

I'd be very surprised if you can get dependable 24/7 streaming for free at a bitrate above 60kbps. They probably make money in some way, perhaps by cutting out your stream to serve ads every x hours.

The URI you mention is only a parking page, it doesn't host its own streams.

Remember that free online services never are truly free - you (and your content) are the product.

Thanks for your reply! :)

...when you say URI are you referring to listentomyradio?

I use it to stream, so i know it works at 128kbps and has no broadcastible adds. 

Just need to know if anyone has had any luck using something like this on a commercial basis. The maximum amount of time I have had it running was 6 hours without it cutting out. (after the 6 hours i need to add - i stopped the stream because i stopped djing - not because it cut out or anything.) Personally I have had no issues using it, but obviously if we are opening a club its not a descision we can take lightly and i need to know all the options available before I can jump into a descision.

DMColz wrote:

...when you say URI are you referring to listentomyradio?

Yup. Maybe you mean listen2myradio.com?

Their free service is ad supported (they're making money off of your listener base). They also mention the same stats you do (5000 Listeners - an imaginary number).

My understanding of their business model is that you can only listen by visiting your landing page, which is not the same as streaming through Parcel Media/Stream.

That feature also makes it highly unsuitable for Second Life DJing. :P

(Source)

I have tested (used it for about a year) in terms of parcel streaming so i know it is suitable for this. 

Also, I understand that since its free its basically being financed by ads but so long as that doesnt interrupt the stream, which in my experience in using it, it hasnt, i dont see a problem there.

Your call on what is actually suitable for your needs.

Like I say this has taken me about 30s to derive, and my only point is that 'free' isn't free. You're always better entering into a service agreement where dependent resources are critical to your operation. If you're determined to play the free route your only option will be to continually expose your listeners to low quality profit generation schemes and liability-free interruptions in service provision. 'Cause operators always seek profit.

If I went to a club and they expected me to open a browser window to hear the stream, I wouldn't be staying. This is my definition for 'unsuitable'.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I know it says on the website 

So you don’t have to pay for the great services you receive on listen2myradio, your free account is financed by the ads on your page. That means your radio station can only be listened to on the subdomain you have created.

However in reality thats not exactly true becuase to listen to the stream, you just encode it in SAMS, and add the server info into SL and BAM... you dont need to open a webpage to hear the music - it is delivered directly to the parcel just the same way any other shoutcast server would. IDK if its a loophole or whatever but this is how i have always used it. And never have any of my guests needed to open a webpage to listen to me DJ.

So this is why I'm thinking, why, when we are already ploughing a shedload of cash into land and all the other outgoings would we pay for a stream when you can get it for free? At least in the short term - i think it would be more than adequete for out needs. Long term we may indeed look into paying for a shoutcast server depending on how we grow, or if we grow. 

What im looking for is for any club owners who have used this technology or tested it, to straight up tell me game changing resons why not to use it. Or to offer any suitable alternatives. 

• 2 weeks later...

DMColz wrote:

I know it says on the website 

So you don’t have to pay for the great services you receive on listen2myradio, your free account is financed by the ads on your page. That means your radio station can only be listened to on the subdomain you have created.

However in reality thats not exactly true becuase to listen to the stream, you just encode it in SAMS, and add the server info into SL and BAM... you dont need to open a webpage to hear the music - it is delivered directly to the parcel just the same way any other shoutcast server would. IDK if its a loophole or whatever but this is how i have always used it. And never have any of my guests needed to open a webpage to listen to me DJ.

So this is why I'm thinking, why, when we are already ploughing a shedload of cash into land and all the other outgoings would we pay for a stream when you can get it for free? At least in the short term - i think it would be more than adequete for out needs. Long term we may indeed look into paying for a shoutcast server depending on how we grow, or if we grow. 

What im looking for is for any club owners who have used this technology or tested it, to straight up tell me game changing resons why not to use it. Or to offer any suitable alternatives. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt many (any) SL clubs/users use your workaround - if they are they are simply flying below the radar.  From the owners:

"You're attempting to use methods to stream your station only available to those with a Premium account, which is why the stream is shutting off. Free accounts cannot use embedded players on their web page or other audio players such as Winamp, iTunes and Quicktime. Please only use your Listen 2 My Radio Player page for your listeners to stream your station. Failure to do so will result in your account being terminated."

SL music streaming would be included in those "other audio players".

I assume you can stream at 128 kbps and 44,100 Hz Stereo using SAM with your free account, the usual settings for SL music, although the free account does not include unlimited streaming or bandwidth, unlike their expensive premium accounts.

You can rent a shoutcast stream in SL for under 500 $L/ month for 25 users and BW up to 320 kbps.  That is more than any new club might have as listeners to their radio stream, when there is no DJ present.  DJ's always use their own streams at clubs, which they pay for.

500 $L is $2 usd/month, or 25 cents /week to use a legitimate stream - I don't understand the reason to cheat, for 25 cents per week.  
:)

I pay 125L$ a week for 192Kbps, 44.1hz  stereo,  200  listeners.. never goes down and can stream 24/7 if i wish. I have never had a problem with them. Why bother trying to screw the company you use now?

Iif you dont make 500L a month DJing, you arent doing it right. Small price to pay to be a legit DJ.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.